Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Corporation in Montana

To register a foreign corporation in Montana, you must file a Montana Certificate of Authority with the Montana Secretary of State. You can submit this document by mail or in person. The Certificate of Authority for a foreign Montana corporation costs $70 to file. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in Montana. Or, sign up for our Montana Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the Montana Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in Montana. All for free.

5 Day Montana Foreign Corporation

$295 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 556 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in Montana

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in Montana?

$70 for normal processing.
$20 for non-profit.
$20 additional for 24 hour expedited processing.
$100 additional for 1 hour expedited processing.

How long does it take for the state to process the Montana Certificate of Authority?

Normal Processing: 5-10 business days, plus additional time for mailing.
In Person Processing: 5-10 business days, plus additional time for mailing.
Expedited Processing: 24 hour and 1 hour expedited processing available.

How will I get verification of qualification back from Montana?

You will receive a letter of acknowledgement of the filing by mail. If you wish a “FILED STAMPED” copy of the document to be returned with the certification letter (at no additional fee), it will be necessary for you to submit the original and a copy of the document.

What forms do I file with Montana to qualify my out of State Corporation?

The Certificate of Authority Application form, a Certificate of Good Standing/Existence, and the filing fee are required.

What do I need from my home state?

A Certificate of Existence/Good Standing is required.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

The certificate must be current within 6 months.

Will I need an Montana registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your registered agent service, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states your registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the Montana registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the Montana Certificate of Authority?

By mail or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

Montana Secretary of State
PO Box 202801 State Capitol, Room 260
1301 6th Avenue
Helena, MT 59620-2801
Phone: (406)444-3665
Fax: (406)444-3976

Do the signatures on the Montana corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

A signature of an officer or chairperson of the board is required.

Are there any weird things about registering in Montana?

County filing or publication is not necessary for foreign corporations, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing Montana annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

Montana annual reports are due April 15th.

You should also learn more about Montana taxes.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an Montana registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in Montana. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional resources:

Montana corporation
Withdraw foreign corporation from Montana

When You Want More