Start a Business in Tennessee
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
Starting a business in Tennessee can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the secretary of state, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in Tennessee, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in Tennessee.
How to Start a Business in Tennessee
You file a corporate charter for a Tennessee corporation or articles of organization for a Tennessee LLC with the TN Secretary of State.
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of Tennessee showing your approved Tennessee business.
Opening a business banking account under your new Tennessee business name should be easy with these two items.
If you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax, you will probably need to register with the TN department of revenue. We provide all these links in your online account.
If your business trade requires a license, you’ll have to apply for a license with the Tennessee licensing board. (Most businesses don’t.) But if you do, these quick links and contact details are in your online account. Some local cities or counties have a general license, but most don’t. You obtain a local trade license if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are You A Do-It-Yourselfer? You Can Save Some Money:
If you want to start a business in Tennessee yourself, you can just hire us as your Tennessee registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the Tennessee LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a Tennessee corporation or form a Tennessee LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional Tennessee registered agent service.START YOUR TENNESSEE BUSINESS TODAY
If you want a corporation, you file Tennessee Corporate charter:
The Tennessee corporate charter costs $100 with the Tennessee Secretary of State. We custom draft your Tennessee corporate charter when you hire Northwest to start your Tennessee business.
The basic requirements of Tennessee corporations are:
- An incorporating Tennessee ending such as Inc, corporation, or incorporated
- An amount of Tennessee corporation shares you would like to authorize
- The effective date of the TN corporation charter
- The corporations principal address
- The name and address of the Tennessee incorporator(s); and
- The registered agent of the proposed Tennessee corporation.
Tennessee does not require original signatures on new TN corporation filings. Filing confirmation is mailed to the address of the person who filed.
Start Your Tennessee Business!GET STARTED
If you want a LLC, you file Tennessee Articles of Organization:
To form a Tennessee LLC you must file articles of organization. The articles of organization filing fee is $300 minimum.
The basic requirements of Tennessee LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New Tennessee LLCs name must be different than already registered Tennessee companies.
- Duration of the Tennessee LLC if not perpetual.
- The purpose of the Tennessee limited liability company.
- The Tennessee registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and addresses of the organizer.
- The LLCs principal office address.
- If the limited liability company is to be managed by members or managers.
- The number of Tennessee LLC members.
- The Tennessee organizer must sign.
- The effective date of the LLC articles of organization
Tennessee does not require original signatures on new TN LLC filings. You’ll get a certificate mailed back to the address on your envelope.