Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Tax Exemption For Montana Non-Profit Organizations



Am I able to apply for state sales tax exemption in Montana?

Montana does not have a state sales tax.

Can I apply for exemption from federal taxes?

Yes, you can apply with the IRS to obtain 501c3 tax exempt status. This process can take quite a while, sometimes up to nine months or longer.

Make sure that if you plan on applying for 501c3 status that the proper language regarding the dissolutions of your non-profit’s assets and a purpose clause is in your Articles of Incorporation.

Are there any other state tax exemptions I could apply for in Montana?

Yes, you can fill out a Tax-Exempt Status Request Form with the Montana Department of Revenue. If you do not have tax-exempt status, then the state of Montana requires you to fill out an annual Montana Corporation License Tax Return.

What about property tax?

Montana non-profit organizations can apply with the Property Assessment Division of the Department of Revenue. You will need to fill out an Application for Real Property Tax Exemption or an Application for Personal Property Tax Exemption. You will send them to the Department of Revenue’s Property Assessment Division.

Montana Tax Exemption Resources:

Montana Department of Revenue
Corporation Tax Unit P.O. Box 5805
Helena, MT 59604-5805

MT Department of Revenue

Montana Tax Info

This comprehensive guide to obtaining and maintaining 501c3 status from the IRS includes information on how to prepare your nonprofit to apply for 501c3 status, as well as information about the forms and fees required by the IRS.

This guide overviews and includes the special tax-exempt language a 501c3 nonprofit organization must include as part of its articles of incorporation. 

When You Want More