Charity Registration In Utah
CHARITY REGISTRATION IN UTAH
Free guide to charity registration in Utah
Do I have to register my non-profit organization as a charity in Utah?
Yes, if your non-profit organization plans to collect donations of any kind, you need to register as a charity with the Utah Division of Consumer Protection.
How do I register my non-profit as a charity in Utah?
- Complete the Charitable Organization Permit Application Form and submit it, with the following items attached, to the Utah Division of Consumer Protection.
- Copy of Application for Tax Exempt Status filed with the IRS.
- The articles of incorporation or other organizational documentation showing the nonprofit’s current legal status.
- A copy of the organization’s bylaws.
- IRS Section 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) tax exemption letter, if applicable.
- Telephone transcript to be used in solicitation, if applicable.
- Most recent IRS Form 990 or annual financial report filed with the IRS (with signature).
- Statement of Functional Expenses form, if you are filing IRS Forms 990 EZ, 990PF, 990N, or other financial information other than IRS Form 990.
- Copies of contracts used with professional fundraiser, if applicable.
- Current contract with parent foundation, if applicable.
- Any order or judgment resulting from any injunction or criminal conviction disclosed in the application.
- You can file online, by mail, or in person.
How much does it cost to register a charity in Utah?
$90. If you file online, you can pay with a credit card. If you paper file, you can pay with a check, money order, or cash.
How long will it take Utah to process my charity registration?
Up to 20 business days. There is no expedited processing available.
Do charities in Utah need to renew their registration annually?
Yes, charities are required to renew their registration each year. The renewals are $90 and are due by the organization’s registration date anniversary. Also, if an annual financial report or IRS Form 990, 990EZ, or 990PF are not available during the first year of registration, initial applicants are required to file quarterly financial reports. The division will notify your organization of the quarter report deadlines when the permit is issued.
Does Utah have any charity exemptions? Non-profits that don’t need to register as charities?
Yes, the following kinds of nonprofit organizations do not need to file as charities:
- Religious organizations.
- Organizations who solicit members for donations.
- Solicitation made by broadcast media, for which the donations will only be used in support of that broadcast media.
- Short-term organizations that solicit donations for the aid of someone suffering from a life-threatening circumstance.
- Educational institutions.
- Volunteer fire department, rescue squad, or other civil defense organization.
For more charity info and forms:
Department of Commerce Division of Consumer Protection 160 East 300 South Box 146704 Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6704 Phone: (801) 530-6601 Website: consumerprotection.utah.gov/registrations/charities.html