Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Tax Exemption For Vermont Non-Profits



Can my non-profit be exempt from VT Corporate Income taxes?

If your Vermont non-profit decides to seek tax exempt status, first apply to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service by completing form 1023 and submitting it with the required attachments. The review process will take several months. If you receive a positive Letter of Determination from the IRS, your VT non-profit will be automatically exempt from Vermont Corporate Income taxes.

Is my non-profit exempt from VT Sales and Use taxes?

Yes. Your Vermont nonprofit must submit Form S-1, Vermont Application for Business Tax Account, with a copy of the IRS 501c3 Letter of Determination to the Vermont Department of Taxes.

Vermont Department of Taxes

Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 547
Montpelier, VT 05601-0547

Additional Resources:

Vermont Taxes
501(c)3 Tax Exempt Status Registration

This comprehensive guide to obtaining and maintaining 501c3 status from the IRS includes information on how to prepare your nonprofit to apply for 501c3 status, as well as information about the forms and fees required by the IRS.

This guide overviews and includes the special tax-exempt language a 501c3 nonprofit organization must include as part of its articles of incorporation. 

When You Want More