Utah Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Utah registered agent is designated by a corporation, LLC, or other business registered in Utah to be the contact for service of process and official mail in Utah. This means the registered agent must have a physical address in Utah.
With our Utah registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Utah Registered Agents:
What Do Utah Registered Agents Do?
Per Utah’s State Code 16-17-203, your Utah registered agent accepts legal documents (service of process) and official mail on behalf of your business at a physical address in the state. This location is called a registered office.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
How Do I Change My Utah Registered Agent?
Time for a new registered agent? You’ll need to file a Corporation Registration Information Change form or the Limited Liability Company Registration Information Change form with the Utah Division of Corporations & Commercial Code. It costs $15 to change your Utah registered agent.
If you would like to change your UT registered agent to us, we’ll prepare the filing for you, and file on your behalf. If you choose Northwest Registered Agent as your agent, you won’t be just another number for us. We specialize in the Northwest, and every new client we get, is valuable to us.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Northwest Phone Service: We know your business needs don’t stop at formation. That’s why we now offer Northwest Phone Service, a feature-packed virtual phone line that allows you to call and text your customers from any device. Our in-house Phone Service is just $9 monthly, with the first 60 days included FREE of charge when you hire us as your registered agent.
- Free Credit Card Processing Consultation: Considering accepting credit and debit card payments? We can help you sort that out. When you hire us, you have the option to sign up for a complimentary in-house call with our card industry specialists who work with processors to negotiate low rates and better contracts on your behalf. Check out our Payment Processing Service page to learn more.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
- Law on Call: When you hire Northwest to be your Utah registered agent, you can subscribe to our unique Law on Call service for just $9 a month (with the first two months FREE). Your Utah Law on Call subscription gets you instant phone-access to our team of Utah lawyers to answer all of your Utah legal questions. Plus, you’ll have the option to hire one of our Utah lawyers to do legal work for you at discounted rates.
Utah Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Utah Registered Agent?
The registered agent requirement is a legal requirement for entities doing business in Utah. The goal is for every corporation, LLC, etc. in Utah to have an address where the business entity can be legally served with a lawsuit. It also provides the state with a reliable address for official notices. If you do not list a Utah registered agent, the Secretary of State will reject your filing.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Utah?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Utah. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a Utah registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Utah?
When you sign up for our registered agent service, we scan your documents locally at our office in South Jordan.
Will You Let Me Know When My Utah Annual Report Is Due?
Yes! Utah businesses, including Utah LLCs, Utah corporations, nonprofits, LPs, and LLPs must file a report with the state each year. All annual renewals will get mailed to your UT registered agent. As your UT registered agent, we scan your reports into your online account and send you reminders. They are due on the anniversary of your filing, and we will receive them for you about 45 days prior to the renewal date. They cost $20 to file. You can also log into your registered agent account at any time and track your Utah annual renewal dates.
Can I Use Your Utah Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Yes! We don’t mind if you put our address on your filing with the Secretary of State. We’re the only national registered agent service that allows clients to use the registered office address and keep your own address of the public record.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Utah Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Utah?
You should hire us first and then form your Utah LLC or corporation because the state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Utah Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Utah registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Find A Utah Company's Registered Agent?
- You can do a Utah business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the UT registered agent name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify someone through their registered agent, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Utah Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Utah registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Utah registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Utah registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Utah corporate compliance.