Missouri Registered Agent
When You Want More
A Missouri registered agent is a person or company designated on a Missouri business’ formation documents that will accept service of process (notice of a lawsuit) on that business’ behalf and then forwards those documents to the responsible parties. Registered agents in Missouri creates a reliable way for a business to be contacted for all legal matters. All Missouri business registered with the Missouri Secretary of State are required to appoint a registered agent.
With our registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, business address, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Missouri Registered Agents:
What Do Missouri Registered Agents Do?
Missouri registered agents accept documents on behalf of your business in Missouri and get them to you. Missouri registered agents need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in state where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail on behalf of your Missouri LLC, Missouri corporation or Missouri nonprofit. This location if called a registered office. They also keep normal business hours.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Missouri Registered Agents?
Per Missouri Law 351.370, whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC), C-corp, or S-corp, the state of Missouri requires the same from a registered agent:
- Must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- Must maintain a registered office (a physical address in Missouri).
- Must be available to accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
Note: In order to accept the appointment of service, a registered agent in Missouri must either sign the appointing document or submit a written statement to the secretary of state acknowledging the appointment.
How Do I Change My Missouri Registered Agent?
There are two ways to change your registered agent in Missouri.
- Hire us and we’ll complete the change of agent form for you for free.
- Do it yourself and file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent form with the Secretary of State. There is a $25 fee to file this form.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Missouri Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Missouri Registered Agent?
- The state requires all Missouri registered businesses to appoint one.
- The Secretary of State Corporations Division will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so the general public and the state have a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Missouri?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Missouri. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Missouri registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Missouri?
We accept and scan all of our Missouri clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Harrisonville, MO.
Will You Let Me Know When My Missouri Registration Report Is Due?
Absolutely! If you own an LLC or corporation in Missouri, you’ll need to complete your MO registration report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use Your Missouri Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Missouri Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Missouri?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Missouri secretary of state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Missouri Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Missouri registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Missouri Registered Agent?
- You can do a Missouri business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Missouri registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Missouri?
In Missouri, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit two copies of the Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent form to the Missouri Secretary of State’s Corporations Division. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Missouri.
How To Order Missouri Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Missouri registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Missouri Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Missouri registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Missouri registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Missouri corporate compliance.
Information Your Missouri Registered Agent Should Help You Understand:
- Business filings are submitted to the Missouri Secretary of State, Corporations Division. Online filings, when available, are significantly cheaper than paper filings–sometimes saving you upwards of $50 per filing.
- Domestic LLCs are $50 online and $105 paper.
- Domestic corporations are at least $58 to file (increasing with authorized capital) and also require an initial report ($21.25 online, $45 paper).
- Foreign LLCs cost $105 to register, and foreign corporations are $155.
- Domestic and foreign corporations are required to file an annual report (or if you’d like to file two years at a time, you can file biennially). The filing fee is $20 online ($45 paper).
At Northwest, we can also form your LLC or form your corporation in Missouri for $100 plus state fees. As part of our commitment to Privacy by Default®, we put our business address on your filings to better protect your privacy. And you always have the support of our Corporate Guides®.