Charity Registration In Rhode Island
FREE GUIDE TO CHARITY REGISTRATION IN RHODE ISLAND
Do I have to register my non-profit organization as a charity in Rhode Island?
Yes, if your RI non-profit corporation intends to solicit any donations of any kind, you must register as a charity with the Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation.
How do I register my non-profit as a charity in Rhode Island?
File the Charitable Organizations Application with the Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation. To the application, you must also attach the following:
- IRS Form 990, Audited Financial Statement, or Compiled Financial Statements.
- List of the addresses of the organization and the addresses of any offices in this state.
- A list of name(s) and address(es) of all professional fund raisers and fundraising counsel who are acting or have agreed to act in this state on behalf of the organization.
- A copy of the contract(s) for the professional fund raiser and fundraising counsel services.
You can either file online or with a pdf version of the application saved on a CD-ROM.
How much does it cost to register a charity in Rhode Island?
$90. You can pay with check or money order if you mail a CD-ROM to the Department of Business Regulation, or you can pay with a credit card if you file online.
How long will it take for Rhode Island to process a charity registration?
Five to seven business days. You can check the status of your application by logging into the department’s website.
Does Rhode Island have any charity registration exemptions?
Yes, if your RI nonprofit corporation qualifies as one of the following types of organizations, it doesn’t have to register as a charity in Rhode Island:
- Educational institutions, including parent-teacher associations.
- Organizations soliciting contributions for a specific, named individual.
- Charitable organizations which do not intend to raise more than $25,000 during a fiscal year, and do not use any of the money to pay employees.
Do Rhode Island charities have to renew their registrations annually?
Yes, RI charities are required to renew their charity licenses each year, and do so by filing the same registration paperwork. Renewals are due each year by the organization’s anniversary of their initial registration date.
To register as a charity:
DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS REGULATION
CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION SECTION
1511 Pontiac Avenue, Bldg. 69-1
Cranston, Rhode Island 02920