Charity Registration In West Virginia
FREE GUIDE TO CHARITY REGISTRATION IN WEST VIRGINIA
Do I need to register my non-profit corporation as a charity in West Virginia?
Yes, if your nonprofit organization will be collecting donations of any kind for a purpose that is even remotely charitable, it must register as a charity with the West Virginia Secretary of State.
How do I register as a charity in West Virginia?
You must complete and submit the following forms to the West Virginia Secretary of State:
- West Virginia Registration Statement for a Charitable Organization
- IRS Tax letter of determination, if applicable
- Copy of the organization’s most recent tax filing
- Financial statement audited by an independent tax accountant
- Copies of current contracts with professional fundraisers, if applicable
- Registration fee of $15 if the organization raises less than $1,000,000 annually; $50 if the organization raises more than $1,000,000 annually
- You can register your charity by mail or in person.
How much does it cost to register a charity in West Virginia?
$15 if the charity raises less that $1 million a year; $50 if the charity raises more than $1 million a year. You can pay with a check, money order, or, if you file in person, cash.
Is the charity’s registration permanent?
No, the charity must renew its registration each year. The deadline to renew is the organization’s registration anniversary date. The charity must re-file updated paperwork it submitted in its initial registration. The renewal fees are the same as the initial registration fees: $15 if the organization raises less than $1 million; $50 if the organization raises more than $1 million.
Are any nonprofit organizations exempt from having to file as a charity in West Virginia?
Yes, the following kinds of organizations are exempt from having to file as charities in West Virginia:
- Virginia nonprofit organizations intending to raise less than $25,000 annually
- Accredited educational institutions
- Persons requesting funds solely for the benefit of one, named individual
- Nonprofit charitable hospitals and nursing homes
- Organizations that only solicit within its membership
- Churches and religious organizations.
West Virginia Charity Resources:
Secretary of State Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd.
East Charleston, WV 25305-0770