Law on Call
When You Want More
Our Law on Call service brings instant legal advice to our Utah clients at a price no traditional law firm can afford. That means no weeks of waiting for callbacks, no deflection from receptionists and paralegals, and no retainer fees—just you, our team of licensed lawyers, and one low subscription fee of $9 a month (with the first 2 months included FREE of charge).
Need full-blown legal work too? No problem. Our team of lawyers also offers traditional legal services to our Utah clients at low hourly rates, and that includes working on agreements, contracts, document reviews, document preparation, legal research—you name it—all just a phone call away.
What is Law on Call?
Law on Call is the first nonlawyer-owned licensed law firm in the United States of America, and we formed at the end of 2020. Yeah. Let that sink in for a minute. It probably should have happened 30 years ago… but it happened in 2020, and we’re the first ones out of the gate.
Traditionally, law firms in the U.S. are partnerships owned by lawyers with no outside investors or non-lawyer controlling partners. That means the lawyers running the law firm are not just practicing law—they are also burdened by administrative tasks and the need to develop and expand their business.
But at Law on Call, all of our lawyers focus exclusively on providing legal advice and doing legal work. You get instant access to lawyers, instant answers, and instant help. That’s truly Law on Call™.
Our Utah Law on Call service is available now for our Utah clients and more states are to come. So, for those who don’t live or work in Utah—stay tuned.
We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all legal work. If you’re not satisfied with the legal work we do for you, we’ll refund any money you’ve paid us. It’s that simple.
What Does Law on Call Mean for Me?
It means a lot. It means easier access to legal services. It means no retainers. It means low prices a traditional law firm can’t afford. It means lawyering as we know it is at an end.
The legal profession has been SO restricted for a century in the U.S. that lawyers have no choice but to charge crazy prices with crazy processes in place just to make their practices profitable enough to provide a decent level of service. Crappy “legal service plans” have tried to bridge the gap, but the end result is very close to a scam—typically just a horrible experience and an inferior product.
Law on Call is not a legal service plan or a lawyer referral service. It’s a licensed law firm. And as the first nonlawyer-owned law firm legally licensed to practice law in the U.S., we aren’t bound by the same archaic rules traditional law firms must abide by. You can simply call and talk to our employees—who just happen to be lawyers licensed to practice law—and they will give you instant legal advice.
How Does Law on Call Work?
We charge $9 a month for our Law on Call service. This gets you instant access to a licensed lawyer on call. No scheduling. No paralegals answering and deflecting. A licensed lawyer will answer your call. If the lines are busy, you can wait on hold or leave a message to get a call back in queue. No B.S. Instant legal services. Instant help. Unlimited calls.
We staff our Law on Call operation like we do our customer service call center. The only difference is the people on the other end of the line are lawyers who can give you instant legal advice.
How Does a Traditional Law Firm Work?
The path to hiring a traditional law firm can be as annoying as it is long. Here’s how the hiring process usually works:
- You call or email and leave a message with a legal assistant.
- You hope to get a call or email back from a paralegal who gathers your info and finds out what you need, and the law firm does a conflict check.
- If you pass their conflict check, you can then schedule an introductory call with a lawyer that might be free or might cost a few hundred bucks.
- If your initial song and dance meeting goes okay, you might get a letter of engagement emailed to you in a week or two for your review.
- You can review it, sign it, and get it back to the lawyer along with what is called a retainer. Retainers are upfront costs typically based on what the lawyer thinks you’ll rack up in initial fees. Most lawyers will ask for a retainer of between $1,000 and $5,000.
- After your agreement gets back to the lawyer, their office staff processes your retainer and sets up a profile for you in their system. Then you might get a call or email back, and you can schedule a phone call or meeting with your lawyer.
- 1-3 weeks later, you get your meeting—and spend hundreds of dollars for it. The lawyer might lay out a plan to get to work, and you can wait another week or more to start seeing results.
Getting Started with Law on Call
That’s how lawyering has worked for a hundred years in the U.S. The system is so ingrained in the legal profession that almost no one can see a different path—until now.
Logistically, how can you get going with Law on Call?
- If you’re a new Utah client, hire us to be your Utah registered agent, or hire us to form your Utah LLC or Utah corporation.
- If you’re an existing Utah client, simply add Law on Call service in your online account. (As far as this list goes, you can skip ahead to step 3.) If you don’t have or need business formation or registered agent service, create a free account with Northwest, then add Law on Call service in the client portal.
- On the sign-up form, add our Law on Call service for $9 a month. (The first two months are free!)
- Once your order gets processed, call and talk to one of our lawyers when you need legal advice… that’s it.
- If, after your phone call, it’s determined you need additional legal work done, you can then pay by the hour to put our lawyers to work for you THE SAME DAY.
What If I Want Full-Blown Legal Work Done?
With our Law on Call service, our objective is to answer your questions and be your legal guide—all for $9 a month. We want to be your trusted partner, someone you can lean on and talk to regularly to help you navigate your legal concerns.
But when you need actual legal work done, more than guidance and advice, we can help there too. Our team of lawyers charges by the hour to do legal work, and they currently practice in the following areas:
- End of life planning,
- Housing (rental), and
- Real estate.
When you hire us for legal work, you can select the legal service categories and subcategories that fit your needs. We can do document reviews and preparation, contracts, agreements, and legal research—basically anything you need beyond guidance or just talking things out. Whatever a traditional law firm can do in these areas, we can do too.
How Do I Hire Law On Call to Do Legal Work?
- When you sign up for our $9 a month Law on Call service, you have an online account where you can submit a request, email us, place an order, and so on.
- We use a ticketing system that allows you to accurately track our progress and cap your costs, and which allows us to monitor how happy you are with the work we do.
- You have a choice to work with a specific staff lawyer, and always stay with that lawyer, or work on a first come, first serve basis to get your legal work done as fast as possible.
How Much Does It Cost For Law On Call To Do Legal Work?
Our lawyers’ hourly rates are based on their years of experience:
- 1-3 years = $99/hr
- 3-7 years = $150/hr
- 7-10 years = $200/hr
- 10+ years = $250/hr
When you hire Law on Call to do your legal work, you can decide which level of experience best suits your needs (and the needs of your pocketbook).
GET STARTED – REGISTERED AGENT GET STARTED – BUSINESS FORMATION
Law on Call vs. Traditional Law Firms
Why don’t traditional law firms function like you?
The traditional law firm is set up with partners who either started the firm or have been there a long time. The lawyers typically make personal take-home pay based on how many billable hours they generate for the firm, plus a cut from other associates’ billable hours. Every lawyer at a traditional law firm is hyper-focused on meeting their billable hours to improve their standing and position at the firm.
That’s a dog-eat-dog world, if there ever was one, and it doesn’t reward the sort of unsung, collaborative work clients often need. Instead, the lawyers are often hamstrung by personal financial incentives to collaborate less and bill you more.
What’s different about hiring Law on Call to do my legal work?
- Our lawyers do not make more money if they bill you more.
Their salaries are based on their years of experience and their client satisfaction ratings, and they receive a cost of living adjustment and a performance-based raise once a year. That means we removed all of our lawyers’ personal financial incentives to bill you more than they need to.
- Our lawyers focus entirely on giving legal advice and doing legal work.
Marketing, business development, administrative tasks, etc.—we have qualified departments that handle that stuff already. Our lawyers’ only requirement is to leave the day with all calls answered and returned, and to make sure all legal work projects are progressing as they should be.
- Our lawyers work as a group to tackle your legal problems.
You don’t just get one lawyer’s opinion or one set of eyes on your workload. Our lawyers work as a team to address ALL our clients’ problems. It’s a collaborative experience. For 200 bucks, you might have 8 lawyers looking at a lease review. That’s unheard of.
The Law on Call Guarantee
At Northwest Registered Agent, we help over 1 million active companies maintain their business registrations throughout the U.S., so we’re blessed with a stable enough business to support a new level of legal services through Law on Call—one that’s more efficient, less expensive, and geared toward our clients’ real-world needs.
That’s why we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all the legal work we do. One of our guiding principles is that money never gets in the way of our relationships with our clients. If you’re not satisfied with the legal work our lawyers have done for you, we’ll refund your money.
We created Law on Call because we have the luxury to primarily care about you being happy. That’s our True North. That’s it.
Our Nonlawyer Ownership
This service is being provided by an entity that is not a traditional legal provider. This entity is owned/managed (fully or partially) by nonlawyers who are not subject to the same rules as lawyers. If you have questions, please contact us at 801-889-1980.
Sandbox Consumer Complaints can be filed with the Office of Legal Services Innovation.
Considering signing up?
Read Law on Call’s terms of service.