How to File a Hawaii LLC Amendment
To amend articles of organization for a Hawaii LLC, submit the Hawaii Articles of Amendment of Limited Liability Company to the Hawaii Department of Commerce, Business Registration Division (BREG). You’ll need to include the amendment, your original articles, a $25 fee and a $1 state archives fee. Below, we provide a free, step-by-step guide to amending your Hawaii LLC articles.
Amend Articles of Organization for a Hawaii LLC
As your Hawaii LLC grows and changes, you may find that the business information you provided in your articles needs to be updated. In many cases, these changes can be made by filing Form LLC-3, Hawaii’s Articles of Amendment of Limited Liability Company.
When do I need to file Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment?
An LLC in Hawaii files articles of amendment for updates such as changes to the LLC’s duration or member liability. However, the following changes are NOT made by filing articles of amendment:
- LLC name: File Hawaii Form LLC-2, Articles of Amendment to Change Limited Liability Company Name.
- Registered agent: Change your Hawaii registered agent by filing Hawaii Form X-7, Hawaii Statement of Change of Registered Agent by Entity, or update changes on your annual report.
- Principal or mailing address: Submit a change request on Hawaii Business Express (HBE), or update changes on your annual report.
- Members or managers: Make changes in the HBE portal or on your annual report.
If you’re making a change by updating your Hawaii Annual Report, note that reports are due each year at the end of the quarter in which you first formed your business.
What do I include in the Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment?
To complete the Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment, you’ll need to include the following information:
- Business name: Provide the full name of your Hawaii LLC.
- Signature: Sign the form with black ink, and list the name and title of the person signing. The signature of at least one member (or manager if the LLC is manager-managed) is required.
- Amendment: Write the text of your amendment on the second page of the form, which is labeled “Attachment to Articles of Amendment.” The attachment must include your LLC name and which article number is being amended.
- Original articles: Include your original articles of organization along with your submission.
- Fees: Include a payment for $26 ($51 expedited).
Note that the Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment must be either typed or handwritten in black ink.
How do I file the Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment?
You can submit the Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment to BREG in person, by mail, or by fax. Filing in person? You can pay your fee with either a check or credit card. Mailed filings are payable by check. Checks should be made out to “Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.”
Faxed filings are payable by credit card. In your fax, you’ll need to include the total payment amount, the sender’s credit card and contact info, and any requests for expediting.
How much does a Hawaii LLC amendment cost?
Amending articles requires a $25 fee. The state archives also collect a $1 fee for any permanent LLC records, including amendments. Need expediting? Add another $25.
How long does it take the state to process a Hawaii LLC amendment?
Articles of amendment in Hawaii take approximately five business days to process. Expedited processing in Hawaii take 1-3 business days.
Can I restate the initial articles instead of filing a Hawaii LLC amendment?
Yes, you can amend and restate simultaneously using the Amended and Restated Articles of Organization (Form LLC-5).
Already filed your amendments? If you just need to restate your articles, you can file Hawaii Restated Articles of Organization (Form LLC-4). Note that this form is only for restating articles and cannot contain any new articles.
For either restatement form, there is a filing fee of $25, plus a $1 state archive fee.
Where do I submit Hawaii LLC Articles of Amendment?
Amendments to articles are filed with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division.
King Kalakaua Building
335 Merchant Street, Rm 201
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
PO Box 40
Honolulu, HI 96810