Non-Profit Charity Registration In Maine
FREE GUIDE TO MAINE NON-PROFIT CHARITY REGISTRATION
Does Maine require that I register my non-profit corporation as a charity?
Yes, if you collect donations of any kind for what might even be mistaken as a charitable purpose, you must register with the Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation as a charity. Almost every ME nonprofit corporation that accepts or solicits donations will fall into this category.
How do I register my non-profit corporation as charity in Maine?
To register your nonprofit corporation as a charity in Maine, you’ll need to do the following:
- Complete the Charitable Organization Application.
- Attach a list of directors/officers to application.
- Attach a list of individual(s) responsible for managing contributions to the application.
- Attach a list of states in which your nonprofit corporation is also registered as a charity.
- Include a copy of your IRS Determination Letter, if applicable.
- Attach your Maine nonprofit corporation’s budget for the current fiscal year and any contracts you have for paid solicitors or charity organizing counsel.
How much does it cost to register as a charity in Maine?
The total fee is $50. Maine requires that each registering charity pay a $25 licensure fee, and a $25 registration fee.
Does Maine have annual requirements for charities?
Yes, Maine requires that each charity pay a $25 annual renewal fee and submit an Annual Fundraising Activity Report along with copies any continuing or new contracts.
When are the annual reports and fees due?
The annual requirements are due each year by November 1st. A renewal application will be mailed to you to complete and return prior to expiration. You can expect to receive the renewal application approximately 60 days prior to expiration. A late fee of $50.00 is assessed for licenses renewed after the license expiration date (December 1 – March 1). Anyone who submits an application for renewal more than 90 days after the expiration date will need to reapply.
To Register a Charity:
State of Maine
Department of Professional and Financial Regulation
Office of Professional & Occupational Regulation
35 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333