Michigan Registered Agent
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
A Michigan resident or corporation that has a physical address in Michigan and is willing to accept legal documents on behalf of a company that has listed the agent as their MI registered agent. Under Michigan Limited Liability Company Act (450.4207), Michigan registered agent services must have a physical address—a P.O. Box will not work.
What Do Michigan Registered Agents Do?
Michigan registered agents need to have physical addresses in Michigan, be open during business hours, and accept documents on your behalf and get them to you. Commercial resident agents in Michigan should provide tools that help you maintain your company.
What Are The Legal Requirements For Michigan Registered Agents?
- MI registered agents have to be a resident or companies that provide registered agent services.
- Have a registered office address that is a physical address located within the State of Michigan.
- Accept legal documents.
Why Do I Need A Michigan Registered Agent?
- To become a legitimate, registered Michigan business, the state forces you to appoint a Michigan registered agent. Sorry.
- The Department of Licensing and Regulatory affairs will reject your filing if you don’t appoint a Michigan resident agent.
- Basically, so the general public will have a reliable way to send important mail or legal notices to every registered Michigan business.
Note: In documents and legislation in Michigan, registered agents are sometimes referred to as resident agents. These two terms mean the same thing and the names can be used interchangeably.
How Do I Change My Registered Agent Service To Northwest?
- You file a change of resident agent form and we get listed as your Michigan registered agent.
- When you place an order with us, the change form is available immediately.
- It’s super easy, but for more specific info you can read our change Michigan resident agent page.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Michigan Registered Agent FAQs
Do I Hire A Michigan Registered Agent Before Or After Forming My Company?
You should hire us first and then do your business registration filing because you can’t form an LLC or corporation without a Michigan registered agent service. You find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
Why Do I Need Northwest As My Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Use Your Michigan Registered Office Address For Everything On My Filing?
Absolutely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our addresses for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private addresses off of public records.
What Kind Of Michigan Registered Office Do You Provide?
We provide a commercial registered office location in Okemos, MI in Ingham County.
Will You Let Me Know When My Michigan Annual Report Is Due?
Absolutely! If you own an LLC or corporation in Michigan, you’ll need to complete your MI annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and instructions you need to stay compliant.
How Will I Get My Documents From You?
We locally scan everything to you in real time from our office in Okemos.
How Do Michigan Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Michigan registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Does Northwest’s Registered Agent Service Work?
You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
We’ll become your Michigan registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the MI Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Michigan registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
We attempt to make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Michigan registered agent service or paying a bill, but for actually keeping up with Michigan corporate paperwork formalities.