Michigan Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Michigan resident or corporation that has a physical address in Michigan and is willing to accept legal documents on behalf of a company that has listed the agent as their MI registered agent. Under Michigan Limited Liability Company Act (450.4207), Michigan registered agent services must have a physical address—a P.O. Box will not work.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Michigan Registered Agents:
What Do Michigan Registered Agents Do?
Michigan registered agents need to have physical addresses in Michigan, be open during business hours, and accept documents on your behalf and get them to you.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Michigan Registered Agents?
In Michigan, your registered agent must:
- MI registered agents have to be a resident or companies that provide registered agent services.
- Have a registered office address that is a physical address located within the State of Michigan.
- Accept legal documents.
Note: In documents and legislation in Michigan, registered agents are sometimes referred to as resident agents. These two terms mean the same thing and the names can be used interchangeably.
How Do I Change My Michigan Registered Agent?
- You file a change of resident agent form and we get listed as your Michigan registered agent.
- When you place an order with us, the change form is available immediately.
- It’s super easy, but for more specific info you can read our change Michigan resident agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Michigan Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Michigan Registered Agent?
- To become a legitimate, registered Michigan business, the state forces you to appoint a Michigan registered agent. Sorry.
- The Department of Licensing and Regulatory affairs will reject your filing if you don’t appoint a Michigan resident agent.
- Basically, so the general public will have a reliable way to send important mail or legal notices to every registered Michigan business.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Michigan?
We provide a commercial registered office location in Okemos, MI in Ingham County.
Will You Let Me Know When My Michigan Annual Report Is Due?
Absolutely! If you own an LLC or corporation in Michigan, you’ll need to complete your MI annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use Your Michigan Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Absolutely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our addresses for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private addresses off of public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Michigan Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Michigan?
You should hire us first and then do your business registration filing because you can’t form an LLC or corporation without a Michigan registered agent service. You find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Michigan Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Michigan registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Michigan Registered Agent?
You can do a Michigan business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Michigan registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Michigan Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Michigan registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Michigan registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Michigan registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Michigan corporate compliance.