Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Kansas Charity Registration


How do I know if my Kansas nonprofit is a “charitable organization?”

A charitable organization in Kansas means any person or group that solicits funds or donations for a charitable purpose. Charitable purpose means a purpose that promotes the well-being of the public at large.

Are any charitable organizations exempt?

There are charitable organizations in Kansas that are exempt from registration with the secretary of state. The list can be found in Kansas state code, K.S.A. 17-1762. Some examples includes:

  • State educational institutions.
  • Fraternal, patriotic, social, educational, alumni organizations and historical societies when solicitation of contributions is confined to their membership.
  • Persons requesting any contributions for the relief or benefit of any individual,
  • Volunteer firemen
  • Any charitable organization operating a nursery for infants awaiting adoption
  • Any girls’ club which is affiliated with the girls’ club of America
  • Any boys’ club which is affiliated with the boys’ club of America
  • The boy scouts of America and the girl scouts of America
  • The young men’s Christian association and the young women’s Christian association
  • Any licensed medical care facility which is organized as a nonprofit corporation under the laws of Kansas
  • Any licensed community mental health center or licensed mental health clinic
  • Any charitable organization of employees of a corporation whose principal gifts are made to an incorporated community chest, united fund or united way, and whose solicitation is limited to such employees
  • Any charitable organization which does not intend to or does not actually solicit or receive contributions from more than 100 persons
  • Any charitable organization the funds of which are used to support an activity of a municipality of this state

Who do I register with and how?

You will register with the Kansas secretary of state office. You will have to file a Registration Statement for Solicitations.

What should be included with the form?

Attach copies of your nonprofit organization’s federal IRS income tax returns. If that is not applicable, attach a financial statement that has been approved by the secretary of state (this will be Form FS), which discloses all fiscal activities of the previous year. If your nonprofit receives contributions of more than $500,000 during its fiscal year, attach an audited financial statement. This statement will have to be signed by two separate, authorized officers, one of which must be the chief fiscal officer.

Is there a registration fee?

Yes, it is $35.

When do I have to register by?

Before your nonprofit charity solicits any funds.

Will I have to re-register my Kansas Charity every year?

Yes, it will have to be renewed every year. The solicitation registration expires on the last day of the sixth month following the month in which the fiscal year of your nonprofit ends. Renew your KS nonprofit’s charity registration by the last day of the sixth month following the fiscal year end. So the renewal is usually due by the end of June.

Where do I send my Registration Statement for Solicitations form?

It can be sent to: Kansas Secretary of State Memorial hall, 1st Floor 120 S.W. 10th Avenue Topeka, KS 66612-1594

What if I have additional questions for the secretary of state about my Kansas nonprofit?

You can call the Kansas secretary of state office at (785) 296-4564.

Nonprofit forms
Kansas tax exemption
Kansas nonprofit


When You Want More