Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Charity Registration In Kentucky


Do I have to register my nonprofit organization as a charity in Kentucky?

Yes, if your nonprofit organization plans on collecting donations of any kind; then Kentucky law states that you must register as a charity with the Attorney General’s office, unless otherwise exempt from the statute.

How do I register my nonprofit with the Kentucky Attorney General?

To register as a charity with the state of Kentucky, you must send the Attorney General the following:

  • A copy of your most recent Form 990 (501c tax exempt nonprofit corporations).
  • A copy of the IRS Determination Letter.
  • Copies of your nonprofit corporation’s bylaws and articles of incorporation.

If you KY nonprofit organization is not a 501c tax exempt entity, you must complete a Charitable Organization Unified Registration Statement and file it with the Kentucky Attorney General.

How much does it cost to register as a charity with the Kentucky Attorney General?

There is no cost to file your nonprofit corporation as a charity with the Kentucky Attorney General.

How long will it take for Kentucky to process my charity registration?

Ten to 15 business days. You can also learn more at KY Nonprofit Tax Exemptions.

Does Kentucky have any exemptions to their charity rule?

If your KY nonprofit organization falls into one of the following categories, you do not have to register as a charity in Kentucky:

  • A local student or parent-teacher organization—with the consent of its educational institution – collecting donations for campus or group-connected activities.
  • A publicly-owned or privately-endowed educational institution collecting donations from its members, alumni, faculty, or student body.
  • A religious organization collecting funds for religious purposes, including maintenance and distribution of its propaganda.

To register as a charity:

Office of the Attorney General
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 200
Frankfort, KY 40601
Attn: Charity Registration
Phone: (502) 696-5300
Website: Kentucky Attorney General Website

Additional Resources:

Nonprofit Legal Form Free Downloads


When You Want More