Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

New York State Tax Exemption



How do I get tax exemption for my non profit in New York State?

Most non profits and religious corporations can apply for an exemption from the New York State Corporation Franchise Tax. You file Form CT-247, which you will find in your online account if you hire ‘Northwest’ as your NY registered agent. Mail it to NYS Tax Department with copies of your certificate of incorporation, bylaws and IRS letter approving your federal tax exemption. There is no filing fee and processing time is two to three months. Send it to:
NYS Tax Department
Corporation Tax
W. A. Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12227
Phone:  (518) 485-6027

For sales tax exemption:
NYS Tax Department
Sales Tax Exempt Organizations Unit
W. A. Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12227
(518) 485-2889

How do I get New York State sales tax exemption?


All 501c3 organization that would like to be exempt from New York State sales tax must submit Form ST-119.2, Application for Exempt Organization Certificate. Attach your IRS determination letter if you have one, a statement of activities, a statement of expenses and a statement of assets and liabilities. Deliver the form and attachments to the Sales Tax Exempt Organization Unit posted above. Once approved, you will receive a Sales Tax Exempt Certificate that you present when your non profit makes purchases. You will still be responsible to collect sales tax from any fundraising sales you have. There is no application fee and it takes approximately two months to receive your certificate.

How do I get tax exemption for my non profit in New York City?

Nonprofit organizations located in New York City can apply for an exemption from NYC General Corporation Tax by preparing an affidavit that explains the purpose of the nonprofit, its actual activities, the source of its income, and that any extra revenue does not profit a private individual. Attach copies of your certificate of incorporation, bylaws and the IRS letter granting 501c3 status. There is no form to download or application fee. Mail your affidavit and attachments to:
NYC Department of Finance
Exemption Processing Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10038

Are there annual filings required to keep your tax exemptions in New York State?

The New York State Department of Taxation has no annual requirements, but you must report to the department any changes to your organization that affect your tax status. NYCity Department of Finance requires an annual NYC-245 filed by March 15th each year with no filing fee.

Note: Due to the bureaucracy and complicated nature of forming a nonprofit corporation in the state of New York, Northwest does not offer incorporation services for NY nonprofits. We do, however, provide helpful information to help you form a NY nonprofit yourself, and we are happy to provide trustworthy, gimmick-free registered agent service for your non-profit.

This comprehensive guide to obtaining and maintaining 501c3 status from the IRS includes information on how to prepare your nonprofit to apply for 501c3 status, as well as information about the forms and fees required by the IRS.

This guide overviews and includes the special tax-exempt language a 501c3 nonprofit organization must include as part of its articles of incorporation. 

When You Want More