Arrow Graphic

COVID-19 Update:

As an essential business, we’re open, fully operational, and all services are active and available!

Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Menu Menu
Start Here

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Charity Registration For Your NC Non-Profit


Is my NC non-profit required to register with the state before soliciting contributions?

Charitable organizations that plan on soliciting contributions from the public of North Carolina or plan on having funds solicited on their behalf will need a license to do so before collecting any contributions.

How do I obtain a license for my North Carolina non-profit?

You will need to file an application with the Department of the Secretary of State to register as a charitable organization. This application is called the Solicitation License Application.

Is there a fee?

Depending on how much your non-profit solicits in contributions in a year, the fee will vary, and you will discover what you need to pay as you fill out the form.

Will I need to send in any additional documents with the form?

Yes. There is a detailed list within the Solicitation License Application of additional documents you will be required to include.

Does my NC non-profit need to register every year?

Yes, the North Carolina non-profit will have to renew their license every year, unless the charity is exempted by state law.

How will I know when it is time to re-register with the state?

The secretary of state office will send each registered charity the correct renewal forms at least 65 days prior to the expiration date of your current license.

How long will it take for the secretary of state to review my application?

About ten days.

Where do I send these documents?

You will send them along with the appropriate fee to:
North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State
Charitable Solicitation Licensing Division
P.O. Box 29622
Raleigh, NC 27626-0622

Additional Resources:

North Carolina Nonprofit Tax Exemptions
Nonprofit Corporation Free Legal Forms

Do Business The Right Way