Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Wisconsin Non-Profit Organizations



Is my WI non-profit able to become federally tax-exempt?

Yes. You will need to apply to obtain 501c3 tax exempt status with the IRS. They will send you a Letter of Determination stating your tax-exempt status if you make it through the months of rigorous review.

How does my WI non-profit obtain Wisconsin Franchise and Income tax exemptions?

If you obtain Wisconsin nonprofit is automatically exempt from franchise and income taxes. You will not need to apply for this exemption with the state.

How do I obtain Wisconsin sales tax exemption for my nonprofit?

501c3 federally exempt non-profits are usually exempt from WI sales tax. You will need a certificate of Exempt Status number. To get this you will need to file Form s-103 along with a copy of your Letter of Determination from the IRS, your bylaws, your Articles of Incorporation, and a statement of income and expenses for your non-profit’s most recent accounting period.

Where do I send my documents for tax exemption?

Wisconsin Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 8902
Madison, WI 53708-8902

Additional Resources:

Wisconsin Taxes

This comprehensive guide to obtaining and maintaining 501c3 status from the IRS includes information on how to prepare your nonprofit to apply for 501c3 status, as well as information about the forms and fees required by the IRS.

This guide overviews and includes the special tax-exempt language a 501c3 nonprofit organization must include as part of its articles of incorporation. 

When You Want More