Georgia Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Georgia registered agent is a third-party appointed by a corporation or LLC for the purpose of accepting service of process, legal documents and government notifications on behalf of clients. A Georgia registered agent is a legal requirement for all business entities in Georgia. Every registered agent in Georgia must maintain a physical office in the state and be available during regular business hours to ensure documents can be reliably delivered. When documents are accepted, they must be forwarded to the client in a timely manner.
With our registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, business address, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Georgia Registered Agents:
What Do Georgia Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, your Georgia registered agent will accept official documents on behalf of your business in Georgia and get them to you fast. They accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail at a Georgia location called a registered office. In other words, your registered agent’s address acts as the official place where any service of process and official mail for your Georgia LLC, Georgia corporation or Georgia nonprofit will be sent.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Georgia Registered Agents?
- The registered agent for a domestic LLC may be an individual who is a resident or a domestic or foreign corporation registered in Georgia.
- The Georgia registered agent for a domestic Georgia corporation or nonprofit may be an individual, a domestic or foreign corporation or nonprofit, or other business entity residing in Georgia.
- Must be located at a registered office (a physical address in Georgia).
How Do I Change My Georgia Registered Agent?
The only way to change your registered agent is to file an annual registration with the Georgia Secretary of State. It’s a simple process, but for more info, check out our guide on how to change your registered agent in Georgia.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local Roswell office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Georgia Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Georgia Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Georgia?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Georgia. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Georgia registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Georgia?
We accept and scan all of our Georgia clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Roswell, GA.
Will You Let Me Know When My Georgia Annual Registration Is Due?
Definitely! Georgia corporations and LLCs or corporation need to complete the GA annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and filing instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use Your Georgia Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Absolutely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Georgia Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Georgia?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Georgia Secretary of State will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your GA registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Georgia Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that your company was notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Georgia registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been legally notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you hired Northwest, you’ll receive your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scan them to your online account within minutes of service.
How Do I Search For A Georgia Registered Agent?
If you want to legally notify a business through their Georgia registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
You find a business by doing a Georgia business name search via the Georgia Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Georgia?
In Georgia, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit submit a Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent to the Georgia Secretary of State, Corporations Division in-person, online or by mail. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Georgia.
How To Order Georgia Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Georgia registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Georgia Corporations Division is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Georgia registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Georgia registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Georgia corporate compliance.