Georgia Registered Agent
When you choose Northwest as your Georgia Registered Agent, you get instant service, Privacy by Default®, a business address, and free mail forwarding. And if you want more, you can get a domain name, website, email, and phone number for free.
Want to learn more about what a registered agent does in Georgia? We'll explain the Georgia Secretary of State’s requirements, what your registered agent should do for you, and how to change your registered agent in Georgia.
When You Want More
$125 a Year Every Year
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service.
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications
- Privacy by Default®
- Business Address & Free Mail Forwarding
- Free Domain, Website, Email & Business Phone
What Is A Georgia Registered Agent?
A Georgia registered agent is a person or company that you designate to receive legal mail (like service of process) on behalf of your business. Registered agents exist to provide an official and reliable way to contact your business.
If your business is ever served with a lawsuit, the process server will deliver the paperwork directly to your registered agent. At that point, your business is legally considered “served.” The registered agent should then forward you your mail, quickly and securely.
Per state statute, registered agents are legally required for registered businesses in Georgia. At a minimum, your registered agent must list a physical address on the public record and be present at that address during business hours. But ideally, your registered agent should do more.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Georgia Registered Agents?
In accordance with Georgia legal statutes (§ 14-2-501 and § 14-11-209) the state requires the following from its registered agents:
- The registered agent for a domestic LLC may be an individual who is a resident or a domestic or foreign corporation registered in Georgia.
- The Georgia registered agent for a domestic Georgia corporation or nonprofit may be an individual, a domestic or foreign corporation or nonprofit, or other business entity residing in Georgia.
- Must be located at a registered office (a physical address in Georgia).
How Do I Change My Georgia Registered Agent?
The only way to change your registered agent is to file an annual registration with the Georgia Secretary of State. It’s a simple process, but for more info, check out our guide on how to change your registered agent in Georgia.
Why Northwest Is The Best Registered Agent In Georgia
Our Georgia Registered Agent Service includes the tools you need to keep your business running without a hitch. When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, you get:
- Same-Day Scans: We scan your legal docs the same day we receive them and reach out if your essential mail goes unread.
- Mail Forwarding: We accept and scan all your state and legal mail, and will scan up to 5 personal documents for free. For $20 a month, we offer unlimited Georgia mail forwarding.
- Privacy by Default®: We list our business address on public docs to keep your personal info safe. And unlike those other guys, we never sell your data.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide support for all your business questions.
And if you want more? Add free trials of any of these options at checkout:
- Domain Name: Choose a domain name from a list of popular extensions (like .com and .net).
- Website: We provide a pre-built business website, customizable using an open source platform.
- Business Email Address: Create up to 10 business email addresses of your choosing. They’ll end in your domain name for branding ease.
- Phone Number: Keep your personal line private by using a business phone number for client communications.
How to Order Georgia Registered Agent Service
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Georgia registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Georgia Corporations Division is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Georgia registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Georgia registered agent service or paying a bill, but for keeping up with Georgia corporate compliance.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Georgia Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Georgia Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Georgia?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Georgia. However, after considering the requirements, most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Georgia registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Georgia?
We accept and scan all of our Georgia clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Atlanta, GA.
Will You Let Me Know When My Georgia Annual Registration Is Due?
Definitely! Georgia corporations and LLCs or corporation need to complete the GA annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and filing instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use The Address Of Your Georgia Registered Office For Everything On My Business Filing?
Absolutely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’ Mail Delivered To Your Georgia Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Georgia?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Georgia Secretary of State will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your GA registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Georgia Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that your company was notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Georgia registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been legally notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you hired Northwest, you’ll receive your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scan them to your online account within minutes of service.
How do I search for a Georgia registered agent?
If you want to legally notify a business through their Georgia registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
You find a business by doing a Georgia business name search via the Georgia Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Georgia?
In Georgia, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit submit a Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent to the Georgia Secretary of State, Corporations Division in-person, online or by mail. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Georgia.