Oregon Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
An Oregon registered agent is designated to accept service of process and official notifications on behalf of clients. Oregon law states that a registered agent must be either a resident of the state or a business entity in good standing. All registered agents must maintain a physical address where certified documents can be delivered during business hours. When documents are accepted by the agent, they must be forwarded to the proper client in a timely manner.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Oregon Registered Agents:
- Get Oregon Registered Agent Service
- What Do Oregon Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements For Registered Agents
- How To Be Your Own Oregon Registered Agent
- How Do I Change My Oregon Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- Oregon Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do Oregon Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, your Oregon registered agent should do the following:
- Accept legal documents and official mail on behalf of your business in Oregon and get them to you fast.
- Have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state of Oregon where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail like tax notices. This location if called a registered office.
- Keep regular business hours.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are The Legal Requirements For Oregon Registered Agents?
The state of Oregon requires the following of a registered agent:
- An OR registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- OR registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in Oregon).
- Oregon registered agents must accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
Note: In Oregon, if your registered agent is unable to be reached or served, the Secretary of State will be served on behalf of your business. This may seem like a good thing, but if your registered agent in Oregon can’t be reached by a process server and the secretary of state receives your business’ service of process, it’s possible that you’ll never know your business was served. This could result in a judgment against your business without you ever knowing. In short, it’s important to hire a registered agent you trust (hint: hire us—we won’t let you down).
How To Be Your Own Oregon Registered Agent
If you do not mind your name and address on public record, you may act as your own registered agent in Oregon. Keep in mind that you must keep regular business hours at this address, as to be available to accept certain documents in person.
To act as your own registered agent, simply fill out your name and address on the formation documents in the spaces where it asks for registered agent information when forming your business.
How to change your registered agent to yourself
If you have already formed your company, you can change your Oregon registered agent by filing a Change of Registered Agent/Address Form with the Oregon secretary of state. If you mail in the form it will take roughly one week to process, and same goes for a faxed-in filing. If you deliver it in person or mail your form via FedEx, processing will only take a day. Here are some pointers for filing the form:
- You will need your registry number – if you do a name search on the Oregon secretary of state website, you will be able to find the number for your Oregon LLC or Oregon corporation. This is an identification number for your business, given to it by the state when you form your business.
- Put your name and address in the spaces where it asks for new registered agent information.
- If you do not want to mail it, you may fax file. Fax file the credit card cover sheet and Change of Registered Agent form. There is no fee unless you request a confirmation copy, which is $5.
- You are now your own registered agent!
Being your own registered agent in Oregon is pretty simple. The only concern, however, is whether you want your name and address to become public information—this makes it accessible to anyone. Also, if your address is liable to change frequently or you are unable to maintain the required business hours, it could be a hassle to serve as your own registered agent.
How Do I Change My Oregon Registered Agent?
Just file a Change of Registered Agent/Office form with the Secretary of State. It does not cost anything to change your Oregon registered agent, so if you are currently overpaying and would like to change to Northwest Registered Agent, we would be happy to get the paperwork ready and file for you.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Oregon Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need An Oregon Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Oregon?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Oregon. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Oregon registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Oregon Registered Office?
We accept and scan all of our Oregon clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Keizer, OR (just outside of Salem).
How Do You Deliver My Documents To Me?
When we accept a document on behalf of your business we will scan the docs from our Keizer office within minutes to your online account.
Can I Use The Address Of Your Oregon Registered Office For Everything On My Business Filings?
Yes! We don’t mind if you put our address on your filing with the Secretary of State. We’re the only national registered agent service that allows clients to use the registered office address and keep your own address of the public record.
Can I Have My Business Mail Delivered To Your Oregon Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
How Do I Search For A Company’s Oregon Registered Agent?
If you want to legally notify someone through their Oregon registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
- You can do an Oregon business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the OR registered agent name and registered office street address.
How Do Oregon Registered Agents Get Served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof of notification. Whether you receive the documents your Oregon registered agent signs for or not, once they accept the documents, you’ve legally been notified. This is a serious responsibility and we don’t take it lightly. Here’s how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our Keizer office and hands us the documents (service of process), then we sign for them.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court which states that they “served” us.
- If you’ve hired us, long before the server hands in their affidavit to the court, you’ve received your documents because we scanned them to your online account within minute of having been served.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Form My Business?
The best way to get started is to sign up for our instant registered agent service online. Then you can do the filing with the Oregon Secretary of State to form your business. This is because you must list your registered agent when you complete the filing. If you don’t have one, your filing will be rejected. Signing up for our registered agent service is also ideal because we provide all the forms and filing instructions you may need in your online account. We make the filing process as simple as possible.
How Do I Search For An Oregon Registered Agent?
You can do a Oregon business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Oregon registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Oregon Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year’s fee for registered agent service up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Oregon registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Oregon Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send an invoice for another year of Oregon registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Oregon registered agent service or paying a bill, but for keeping up with Oregon corporate paperwork formalities like the Oregon annual report.