Start a Business in Alaska
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
Starting a business in Alaska can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the Alaska Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in Alaska, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in Alaska.
How to Start a Business in Alaska
You file Articles of Incorporation for an Alaska corporation or Articles of Organization for an Alaska LLC. Additionally, any new companies formed or registering to do business in Alaska have to file an initial report within 6 months of the incorporation or formation date.
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of Alaska showing your approved Alaska business.
Opening a business banking account under your new Alaska business name should be easy with these two items.
If you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax, you will probably need to register with the AK department of revenue. We provide all these links in your online account.
If your business trade requires a license, you’ll have to apply for a license with the Alaska licensing board. (Most businesses don’t.) But if you do, these quick links and contact details are in your online account.
Some local cities or counties have a general license, but most don’t.
You obtain a local trade license if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are You A Do-It-Yourselfer? You Can Save Some Money:
If you want to start a business in Alaska yourself, you can just hire us as your Alaska registered agent. You’ll instantly have the Alaska LLC or corporation forms to file, along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to form an Alaska corporation or LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional Alaska registered agent service.START YOUR ALASKA BUSINESS TODAY
If you want a corporation, you file Alaska Articles of Incorporation:
To form an Alaska corporation, you file Alaska Articles of Incorporation. The Alaska articles of incorporation cost $250 with the Alaska Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing.
We custom draft your Alaska Articles of Incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your Alaska business. The basic requirements of Alaska corporations are:
- The Alaska corporation must have a corporate ending such as incorporated, corporation or an abbreviation thereof.
- The duration of the corporation is “perpetual” unless otherwise stated.
- The purpose of the Alaska corporation.
- The number of shares the Alaska corporation is authorized to issue.
- The name of the registered agent in Alaska and the registered office address.
- The name and address of the directors of the Alaska corporation.
- The name and address of the Alaska incorporators.
- Date of execution.
- The Alaska incorporator must sign the Articles of Incorporation.
- The name and business address of the person preparing the AK Articles of Incorporation.
Alaska does not require original signatures on filings. The stamped form will be mailed to the address of the person who filed the documents.
Start Your Alaska Business!GET STARTED
If you want a LLC, you file Alaska Articles of Organization:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it such as LLC, L.L.C.
- The Alaska business name must be different than already registered Alaska businesses.
- The duration of the Alaska LLC (usually perpetual.)
- Alaska limited liability companies must state a purpose.
- The Alaska registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and addresses of the initial member(s), and organizer, if any.
- If the AK limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, you must list the names and addresses of the AK LLC managers.
- Someone must sign as the AK LLC organizer.
- Name, address and phone number of the person that prepared the form.
Alaska does not require original signatures on filings. The stamped form will be mailed to the Alaska corporate agent.