Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Corporation in Alabama

To register a foreign Corporation in Alabama, you must file an Alabama Application for Registration with the Alabama Secretary of State, Corporations Division. You can submit this document by mail or online. The Application for Registration costs $150 to file ($156 online). There is also a name reservation fee of $28. The following guide on registering a foreign corporation in Alabama answers the most common questions about how to file the Application for Registration, but you can also sign up for our Alabama Foreign Corporation service and let Northwest handle the details for you.

Free PDF Download

Download the Alabama Application for Registration. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in Alabama. All for free.

2 Day Foreign Alabama Corporation

$409 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 556 clients on Google


Reserve your corporation’s Alabama name

You’re required to reserve your corporation’s name in every state where you register it, but in most states this is done as part of the registration process. Not in Alabama. Here reserving your corporation’s name is a separate process and it costs $28. Perform a free name search on the Secretary of State’s website and reserve your name. Print out a copy of the name reservation letter.

Complete the Application for Certificate of Authority of a Foreign Corporation to Transact Business in Alabama

Despite its gigantic name, the form is pretty simple. You’ll be required to include the following: the corporation name, the corporation’s name in Alabama, a copy of the name reservation letter, the date the corporation was formed, the date the corporation will begin transacting business in Alabama, the principal office address, the name and address of your Alabama registered agent, and a certified copy of your Articles of Incorporation.

Mail the Application for Certificate of Authority

Send the completed form (two copies), a certified copy of your Articles of Incorporation, a copy of your name reservation, and a check for all filing fees to the Alabama Secretary of State. The mailing address is below:

Alabama Secretary of State
Corporations Division
PO Box 5616
Montgomery, AL 36103-5616
100 North Union Street, Suite 770
Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: (334) 242-5324

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in Alabama

Does the Alabama registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the Alabama Certificate of Authority?

Applications are accepted by mail or online.

Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

An officer of the Alabama corporation will need to sign the application.

Are there any weird things about registering in Alabama?

You will need to provide the mailing address of all directors and officers. County filing or publication is not necessary, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing Alabama annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

Alabama corporation annual reports are due March 15th. The initial report is due 2 1/2 months after the tax ending period. Any new companies formed or registering to do business in Alabama have to file an initial Business Privilege Tax Return within 2.5 months of the incorporation date.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an Alabama registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in Alabama. It’s a flat rate, once-a-year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service:

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional Resources:

Alabama Taxes
How to Withdraw a Foreign Corporation in Alabama
Foreign Corporation Registration


When You Want More