Alabama Registered Agent
When you choose Northwest as your Alabama Registered Agent, you get instant service, Privacy by Default®, a business address, and free mail forwarding. And if you want more, you can get a domain name, website, email, and phone number for free.
Want to learn more about what a registered agent does in Alabama? We'll explain the Alabama Secretary’s requirements, what your registered agent should do for you, and how to change your registered agent in Alabama.
When You Want More
$125 a Year Every Year
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service.
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications
- Privacy by Default®
- Business Address & Free Mail Forwarding
- Free Domain, Website, Email & Business Phone
What Is an Alabama Registered Agent?
An Alabama registered agent is a person or company that you designate to receive legal mail (like service of process) on behalf of your business. Registered agents exist to provide an official and reliable way to contact your business.
If your business is ever served with a lawsuit, the process server will deliver the paperwork directly to your registered agent. At that point, your business is legally considered “served.” The registered agent should then forward you your mail, quickly and securely.
Per Alabama’s state statutes (AL Code § 10A-1-5.31), registered agents are legally required in Alabama. At a minimum, your registered agent must list a physical address on the public record and be present at that address during business hours. But ideally, your registered agent should do more.
What are The Legal Requirements For Alabama Registered Agents?
- A registered agent in Alabama has to be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- The agent must maintain a registered office address that is a physical address located within the State of Alabama.
- The registered agent must accept legal documents for your company.
How Do I Change My Alabama Registered Agent?
Changing your registered agent is a straightforward process:
- You’ll file a change of agent form with the Alabama Secretary of State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly. We’ll even pay and file the change of agent filing for you.
- It’s a simple change, but for more info, see our guide on how to change your registered agent in Alabama.
Why Northwest Is The Best Registered Agent In Alabama
Our Alabama Registered Agent Service includes the tools you need to keep your business running without a hitch. When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, you get:
- Same-Day Scans: We scan your legal docs the same day we receive them and reach out if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We list our business address on public docs to keep your personal info safe. And unlike those other guys, we never sell your data.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide support for all your business questions.
And if you want more? Add free trials of any of these options at checkout:
- Domain Name: Choose a domain name from a list of popular extensions (like .com and .net).
- Website: We provide a pre-built business website, customizable using an open source platform.
- Business Email Address: Create up to 10 business email addresses of your choosing. They’ll end in your domain name for branding ease.
- Phone Number: Keep your personal line private by using a business phone number for client communications.
How To Order Alabama Registered Agent Service
You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
We’ll become your Alabama registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the Alabama Secretary of State.
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Alabama registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states. We attempt to make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Alabama registered agent service or paying a bill, but for actually keeping up with Alabama corporate paperwork formalities.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Alabama Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need An Alabama Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint an agent.
- The Secretary of State will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Alabama?
We provide a commercial registered office location in Dothan, Alabama.
Can I Use Your Alabama Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Absolutely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our addresses for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private addresses off of public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Alabama Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Alabama?
You should hire us first and then do your business registration filing, because you can’t form an LLC or corporation without an Alabama registered agent service. You’ll find all the Alabama forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Alabama Registered Agents Get Served?
- A process server, the sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court that they “served” us.
- Service on a registered agent is legal proof that your business was notified. Regardless of if the company looks at the docs or even gets them from the Alabama registered agent services, you were technically notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly.
How Do I Search For An Alabama Registered Agent?
- You can do an Alabama business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the Alabama registered agent name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify someone through their Alabama registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.