Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Corporation in West Virginia

To register a foreign corporation in West Virginia, you must file a West Virginia Certificate of Authority with the West Virginia Secretary of State, Corporations Division. You can submit this document by mail, fax, email, in person, or online. The Certificate of Authority for a foreign West Virginia corporation costs $100 to file. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in West Virginia. Or, sign up for our West Virginia Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the West Virginia Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in West Virginia. All for free.

10 Day West Virginia Foreign Corporation

$325 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 556 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in West Virginia

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in West Virginia?

$100 for normal processing; $50 for non-profit. Expediting is available for additional fees.

Additionally, if your corporation holds more than 10,000 acres of land, you must submit a fee of 5¢ per acre over 10,000 acres.

How long does it take for the state to process the West Virginia Certificate of Authority?

Standard processing is 5-10 business days. The following expedite options are also available:
24-hour: +$25
2-hour: +$250 (fax only)
1-hour: +$500 (walk-in only)

How will I get verification of qualification back from West Virginia?

A Certificate of Authority will be mailed to you. A file stamped copy of the Certificate of Authority form as filed will be returned to you only if you provide the form in duplicate.

What forms do I file with West Virginia to qualify my out of State Corporation?

Foreign corporations submit the Certificate of Authority form (in duplicate), a Certificate of Existence and the filing fee.

What do I need from my home state?

A Certificate of Existence is required.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

It must be dated within the current tax year.

Will I need an West Virginia registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your West Virginia registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year. You’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you’re registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the West Virginia registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the West Virginia Certificate of Authority?

By mail, fax, email, in person or online. If filing online, you will need to be prepared to fax your signature pages and your Certificate of Existence. If faxing or emailing your forms you will need to call their office with your credit card information for payment. If filing by email, you will want to call to get a current email address and so that someone will be expecting your filing.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

West Virginia Secretary of State
Corporations Division
1900 Kanawha Blvd E.
Bldg 1, Suite 157-K
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: (304)558-8000
Fax: (304)558-8381

Do the signatures on the West Virginia corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

An officer of the corporation must sign the form.

Are there any weird things about registering in West Virginia?

Online filing is the best choice because it will be filed with the West Virginia Secretary of State, State Tax Department and Employment Security Office all at the same time. Otherwise, you will need to file with each office separately.

If your corporation is an insurance company, you must include a copy of the Certificate of Authority or written approval of the charter issued by the West Virginia Insurance Commissioner during the current tax year.

County filing or publication is not necessary, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing West Virginia annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

Annual reports are due July 1st.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an West Virginia registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in West Virginia. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

West Virginia Foreign Corporation Resources:

Free Business Name Search
West Virginia Corporation

When You Want More