Hawaii Registered Agent
REAL TIME SERVICE
Instantly talk to our Corporate Guides™ or use your online account where you’ll find:
- Docs we get for you
- Hawaii business forms to file
- Hawaii filing tips
- HI company management system
With Northwest Registered Agent, what you see is what you get. We offer:
- Same price every year
- No extra fees
- No up-sells
- WE will be your registered agent
- Use Our Address - Not Yours
- Local Document Scans in Real Time
- Local Corporate Guides™ In Every State
What is a Hawaii Registered Agent?
A Hawaii registered agent is a resident individual of Hawaii or a business registered in the state that agrees to accept legal correspondence on behalf of companies registered in Hawaii. Documents such as legal summons, service of process, yearly charter renewals, and tax notifications come to a business’s registered agent, and the Hawaii registered agent is required to pass such documents onto clients in a timely manner. A Hawaii registered agent maintains a registered office in the state, which must be a physical street address kept open during regular business hours.
Registered Agent Service in Hawaii
What do Hawaii registered agents do?
Hawaii registered agents:
- Accept official documents on behalf of your business in Hawaii and get them to you.
- Need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state of Hawaii where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location is called a registered office.
- Keep normal business hours.
Do I need a Hawaii registered agent?
- The state requires all Hawaii registered businesses to appoint a Hawaii registered agent.
- The Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs – Business Registration Division will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so the state of Hawaii and general public have a reliable way to serve or contact your business.
Who needs a registered agent in Hawaii?
You are required to pick and maintain a registered agent with all filings. It costs $25 to change your Hawaii registered agent, so you should pick a good company from the start.
Will my registered agent remind me to file my Hawaii annual report?
Yes! We send all of our registered agent service clients reminders when the annual report is due. Hawaii annual reports are especially confusing…
Annual reports will get mailed to your main business address not your registered agent’s. They are all due based on the anniversary date of your filing. They are due quarterly, not on the exact filing date, according to the federal quarter dates. There are 4 possible due dates, so if you filed in the middle of the quarter, your first annual report is due at the end of that quarter the next year. They cost $12.50 online, and $15 if you mail them in.
Hawaii Registered Agent Requirements:
Hawaii requires the following of its registered agents:
- The HI registered agent may be a resident of Hawaii or a domestic or foreign business entity registered in Hawaii.
- HI registered agents must maintain a physical street address in Hawaii.
How do I search for a Hawaii registered agent?
Use our Hawaii business name search tool to search the Hawaii BREG Division’s records.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the company’s registered agent and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify the business through their Hawaii registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How do Hawaii registered agents get served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Hawaii registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a huge responsibility and we take it seriously. Here’s how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How do I get registered agent service in Hawaii?
- You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
- We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
- We’ll become your Hawaii registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the Hawaii Business Registration Division.
- About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Hawaii registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
- We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
- We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Hawaii registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Hawaii corporate compliance.
Do I hire a registered agent before or after I start my business in Hawaii?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Hawaii BREG will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your HI registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
Info your registered agent should help you know and understand:
- Filing business entities in Hawaii is easy and one of the most economical in the U.S. You can file anything online, or by fax. You can pick your registered agent in Hawaii right online by listing our name and address. Every filing costs $50 whether you file online or by paper.
- You can expedite any online filing for $25 extra and it will be done in 1-3 days. Normal online filings take about 3-5 days. Paper filings take about 1-2 weeks, but you can expedite the paper filings if you would like. However, it’s pretty pointless to do so since that would cost you $125 when you could have filed online for $50 and had it go quicker than an expedited paper filing.
- When filing online, you can also register online with the department of taxation at the same time, but you don’t have to. Did you know Hawaii has no sales tax? It does have a gross receipt excise tax on all businesses and it allows business owners to pass this on. We are one of the few registered agents in Hawaii that do not pass this on, and opt to pay it out of pocket.
- All signatures for filings do not have to be original inked signatures. You will receive a letter of confirmation upon the completion of your filing with Hawaii. Online filings get an email back. Fax filings, you can specify how you want it back on the cover sheet, and mailed filings go back to the mailing address of the application.
Where is your Hawaii registered office?
Aloha! Our downtown Honolulu office is blocks away from the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. We charge $125 a year for registered agent service in Hawaii.
We locally scan all items we receive at our registered agent office in Hawaii, a local Honolulu address, for no charge (for a quick visual of our notification process, check out our Registered Agent Infographic). One of the nice things our Hawaii resident agent clients enjoy is being able to log into their online registered agent account and see when their next Hawaii report is due. We appreciate the chance to be your Hawaii agent. Mahalo!
Why your life will be better if you hire us:
- You’ll likely struggle with your business filing. Because Hawaii business registration filings can be confusing. But we do them every day, and when you hire us, as part of our registered agent service, we’ll instantly provide you with filing instructions, tips, order sheets, and the forms you need to file.
- Call us!We’re here to help walk you through the process of starting your new business. When you have a question, just call. The people who answer the phones don’t read from scripts or try to sell you anything—we’re just here to help.
- This is only the beginning.When you form an LLC or corporation, you’ll have ongoing reports like the Hawaii annual report, which is due each year at the end of the quarter in which you formed your business. We offer complete corporate services in Hawaii. We also make it easy to add registered agent service in other states. You can always see upcoming report dates for every state in which we’re your registered agent. Your reminders are always based off your real corporate data, the same data the state sees. And if legislative laws change and affect your business, you’ll know about it. We have the most sophisticated business compliance reminder system in our industry. We do the work for you and provide you with not only a reminder but the forms you need to file (LLC forms, corporation forms, annual report forms, etc.) already prepopulated with your information on them—all for no additional charge.
- Free tools.We don’t simply send you a bill for providing registered agent service—we offer all the corporate legal forms you need to maintain your LLC, nonprofit, charity, corporation, LLP, or any other type of Hawaii business. Through our Online Service Manager, you need only enter your information once and use that data to populate all kinds of corporate forms, like annual meetings, amendments, and new registrations in additional states.
What makes Northwest different from other registered agent services?
- Big data.If you’ve heard of the phrase “big data,” you’re probably afraid of it and should be. But you need not fear it in connection with Northwest. We don’t store your credit card information. We don’t sell your data to others to make money.
- We are the only national registered agent that locally scans everything for you in real time.Through our Online Service Manager, we’ll scan everything for you in real time. Your Hawaii registered agent service is going to be your point of contact for serious legal notices. We maintain our own registered offices in each state, and when you hire us for Hawaii registered agent service, we’ll scan everything from our office in Honolulu, HI. And we don’t just email you a copy of your notice. Our Online Service Manager utilizes the most sophisticated calendaring response and tracking system of any Hawaii registered agent service to help make sure you, and whoever you want to be notified don’t just get a notice but that you’re actually reviewing the documents.
- Don’t make this decision lightly. When the general public or a government official wants to know who owns your company, your registered agent is who they’ll contact. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data private, trained staff who will not give away your information, and in-house data security professionals who stress test our own systems regularly. We also prosecute those who try to hack our system.
- We’re just not annoying. We pick up new clients switching registered agent services every day because they’re frustrated by their current registered agent. We don’t send our clients to collections. We don’t try to sell you unnecessary services. If you don’t want our service, don’t pay us. We’ve never sent a client to collections. Our trademarked slogan is “We’re just not annoying.” And we really mean it.
- This is all we do.When you hire us for service, you’re actually hiring Northwest Registered Agent. Registered agent service isn’t a line item on a profit and loss sheet. It’s not a dividend payment to our owners. It’s not an idea we hope will work out. And we sure as heck aren’t a massive corporate conglomerate looking for every penny of profit we can grab. This isn’t just a job to us, it’s our passion.