Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Get Started
Get Started

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will walk you through starting and maintaining an LLC or Corporation. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character
New Hampshire Nonprofit Service We’re Just Not Annoying®

How to Start a Nonprofit in New Hampshire

To incorporate a nonprofit in New Hampshire, file nonprofit Articles of Agreement with the New Hampshire Secretary of State. This filing officially creates your new nonprofit, but it still just one step toward achieving your organization’s goals. The complete steps to forming a New Hampshire nonprofit corporation are as follows:

1. Name your nonprofit

2. Gather your team

3. File nonprofit Articles of Agreement

4. Get a Federal EIN Tax ID from the IRS

5. Hold your organizational meeting and adopt bylaws

6. Apply for federal and/or state tax-exemptions

7. Register as a charity

Download Icon

Free PDF Download

New Hampshire nonprofit Articles of Agreement free download. When you’re done filling out the form, submit it to your state.

Formation Documents Icon

Do It Yourself Wizard

Our free account and tools will walk you through starting and maintaining a New Hampshire nonprofit. All for free.

Registered Agent Icon

2 Day New Hampshire Nonprofit For $250 Total

Rated 4.8 / 5 stars by 28 clients on Google+

Our Nonprofit Formation Service Includes

Lightning Fast Icon

Fast Nonprofit Formation

Orders Filed Same Day

Secure Icon

Address Security

Use Our Address, Not Yours

Calendar Icon

365 Days Of

Premium Registered Agent Service

Corporation Guide Icon

Corporate Guide™ Service

We Help Navigate Business Maintenance

Operating Agreement Icon

Nonprofit Bylaws

Easily Adaptable To Your Nonprofit

Secure Documents Icon

A Fully-Optimized Nonprofit

Ready To Purse 501(c) Status

Online Account Icon

Secure, Online

Client Portal & Instant Service

Notification Icon

Annual Report

Reminders & Compliance Notifications

Bank Icon

Bank Account Approved

Documents & Forms

How To File New Hampshire Nonprofit Articles Of Agreement

To form a New Hampshire nonprofit, file Articles of Agreement using the following steps:
Step 1 Choose a name for your new nonprofit
Step 2 Describe your nonprofit’s purpose
Step 3 Decide if your nonprofit will have members
Step 4 Determine how your nonprofit will distribute its assets if it ever shuts down
Step 5 Decide what address you’d like to list publicly
Step 6 Determine if your nonprofit will issue stock or membership certificates
Step 7 Decide if your nonprofit will limit or eliminate the personal liabilities of directors and/or officers
Step 8 Include the names, addresses, and signatures of at least five adults associating to form your new nonprofit
Step 9 File online and pay $25 with a credit card, or mail your articles to the Corporations Division / NH Dept of State / 107 N Main St, Rm 204 / Concord, NH 03301-4989 with a check or money order for $25

How Long Does it Take to Start a New Hampshire Nonprofit?



File your Articles online yourself at New Hampshire’s QuickStart portal, and the state should process your documents in around 1-2 business days.



Hire Northwest to make sure your Articles get filed correctly the first time. You’ll answer a few questions about your nonprofit in your online account, and our expert filers will do the rest.



Mail in your printed articles and expect to wait anywhere between 1-3 weeks.

How Much Does It Cost To Incorporate A New Hampshire Nonprofit?

New Hampshire charges a $25 fee to file nonprofit Articles of Agreement. Hire Northwest to form your nonprofit, and the total cost, which includes a full year of registered agent service, is $250 for 2-day online filing.

Get Started

How Much Does A New Hampshire Nonprofit Cost Each Year?

If your New Hampshire nonprofit is a charity, you will pay an a $25 fee each year to renew your registration with the NH Attorney General.

Get Started

Will My New Hampshire Nonprofit Submit An Annual Report?

New Hampshire doesn’t require nonprofits to submit annual reports; rather, you’ll submit a compliance report to the NH Secretary of State every five years that updates or confirms your nonprofit’s information with the state.

The report comes with a $25 fee, and you can submit online yourself at New Hampshire’s QuickStart portal. Or you can add our convenient New Hampshire Business Compliance service for an additional fee when you hire Northwest.

Registered Agent System Graphic

Is A New Hampshire Registered Agent Required?

Yes, New Hampshire requires nonprofits to get a New Hampshire registered agent. You can do the job yourself, but just keep in mind that a registered agent must maintain a publicly-listed location in New Hampshire and be available at that location to receive services of process (legal notices) during normal business hours. If you can’t trust yourself or someone you know to keep that commitment, and if you’d rather not deal with the fallout of listing your own residential or office address on a public form, it’s likely better to hire a registered agent service like Northwest.

Get Started
Documents Graphic

Will My New Hampshire Nonprofit Be Tax-Exempt?

Nonprofit corporations are not automatically tax-exempt, but if you formed your organization in the right way and for the right reasons (where “right” gets defined by the IRS!), and if you’re willing to endure a lengthy, expensive application process, seeking federal tax-exempt status could benefit your nonprofit’s future success.

To apply, you’ll need to submit an Application for Recognition of Exemption to the IRS (either Form 1023-EZ, 1023, or 1024). Most nonprofits seek 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status for public charities and private foundations. If your nonprofit intends to go this route, it’s important to plan in advance. Your Articles of Agreement should include a statement of purpose and dissolution of assets provision that use specific tax-exempt language required by the IRS.

If your nonprofit manages to obtain 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt status, it will be exempt from the New Hampshire corporate income tax (also called the “business profits tax” in New Hampshire). Currently, New Hampshire doesn’t have a state sales tax. Learn more at Northwest’s guide to New Hampshire tax exemptions.

EIN Graphic

Do I Need A Tax ID Number (EIN) For A New Hampshire Nonprofit?

Your nonprofit’s federal employer identification number (FEIN or EIN) is a lot like an individual’s social security number. Without one, it’s hard to establish your nonprofit’s legitimacy in the eyes of banks, vendors, and donors, not to mention that you’ll need an EIN to apply for federal tax-exempt status with the IRS.

After the New Hampshire State Department processes your Articles of Agreement, you can apply for an EIN on the IRS website, by fax, or by phone. Or you can sign up for our EIN service for an additional fee when you hire Northwest.

Business License Graphic

Does A New Hampshire Nonprofit Need A Business License?

New Hampshire doesn’t issue a general, statewide business license, but some cities and counties have licensing requirements and permits of their own. Contact your local city clerk’s office to find out which (if any) of your nonprofit’s activities require a license.

Should My New Hampshire Nonprofit Register As A Charity?

If your nonprofit has or will apply for 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, or if it will solicit or distribute charitable funds in New Hampshire (basically, if it functions at all like a charity), it will need to register as a New Hampshire charity with the Office of the Attorney General. To register, submit an Application for Registration (form NHCT-1) to the Attorney General’s Charitable Trusts Unit.

There is a $25 fee to register, and you’ll need to pay $25 to file an annual report with the Charitable Trusts Unit each year.

Will My Nonprofit Have To Pay A Local Recording Fee?

Yes. Apart from the $25 filing fee collected by the New Hampshire Secretary of State, your nonprofit will pay an additional $5 recording fee to file a copy of your Articles of Agreement with your city clerk’s office.

Can I Register An Out Of State Nonprofit In New Hampshire?

Absolutely. To expand your out of state nonprofit (also called a “foreign nonprofit”) to New Hampshire, register with the New Hampshire Secretary of State. Learn more at Northwest’s guide to New Hampshire foreign nonprofits.

Does A New Hampshire Nonprofit Need Bylaws?

Absolutely. New Hampshire requires a nonprofit’s board of directors to adopt bylaws at its organizational meeting. This is your nonprofit’s first official meeting where you adopt your bylaws, elect directors and officers, and settle any other business necessary to complete the process of forming your nonprofit. You won’t need to file your bylaws with the New Hampshire Secretary of State, but the Attorney General’s office will expect to see your bylaws if you register as a New Hampshire charity, and the IRS will likewise expect your nonprofit to adopt its bylaws in advance of seeking 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt status.

It isn’t easy to craft effective bylaws that actually anticipate the issues and problems your nonprofit will face down the road, but Northwest can help. When you hire Northwest, you’ll gain access to our adaptable template for writing nonprofit bylaws, as well as our other free nonprofit forms, to help get your nonprofit started on the path to success.

New Hampshire Nonprofit Articles Of Agreement Requirements

Business Name

Your nonprofit’s name can’t state or suggest a purpose other than those allowed by New Hampshire law or identified in your nonprofit’s Articles of Agreement. The name must also be distinguishable from other business entities on record with the New Hampshire Secretary of State.

Principal Purpose (or NAICS Code)

New Hampshire requires a description of your nonprofit’s purpose, and the online form includes adding an NAICS Code (a code that identifies your nonprofit’s purpose from a list of business purposes) as part of the application. Keep in mind, however, that if your nonprofit intends to seek 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, your article’s statement of purpose should include the specific tax-exempt language required by the IRS.

Membership & Participation

If your nonprofit will have members, provide a description of its provisions for establishing membership and participating in your nonprofit corporation.

Disposition of Assets

Describe how your nonprofit will distribute its assets if and when it shuts down (or “dissolves”). If your nonprofit intends to seek 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, your dissolution of assets provision should include the tax-exempt language required by the IRS permanently dedicating your nonprofit’s income and assets to one or more exempt purposes.

Principal Office Information

Include a New Hampshire street address (and mailing address if different) for your nonprofit’s principal place of business. When you hire Northwest, you can list the address of our New Hampshire office in place of yours.

Capital Stock, Shares, or Certificates

If your New Hampshire nonprofit will issue stock, shares, or membership certificates, indicate this in your articles, and include your nonprofit’s provisions for retiring, re-acquiring, or redeeming those shares or certificates. (Note that 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charities will not issue stock, shares, or membership certificates.)

Provision of Personal Liability

If your nonprofit intends to limit or eliminate the personal liabilities of officers and directors to your nonprofit corporation, explain the details of that provision here.

General Uploads/Attachments

If you’re filing online, you can upload additional documents or add attachments if filing by mail. Nonprofits seeking 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status should make sure to include each of the 501(c)(3) provisions required by the IRS.


Include the signature and post office address of each person associating together to form your nonprofit (a minimum of five individuals age 18 or older).

Corporate Compliance
by Local Corporate Guides®