How to File an Alabama LLC Amendment
To amend the Certificate of Formation for your Alabama LLC, you’ll need to submit a Certificate of Amendment with the Alabama Secretary of State. You’ll include three forms total—the original amendment and two copies—and a $100 filing fee. Below, we provide free, step-by-step instructions for how to amend your Alabama Certificate of Formation yourself.
Amend a Certificate of Formation for an Alabama LLC
As your Alabama LLC begins to grow and expand, you may need to update some of the information provided on your original Certificate of Formation. For the most part, these changes can be made by filing a Domestic LLC Certificate of Amendment form.
When do I file an Alabama Domestic LLC Certificate of Amendment?
Your Alabama LLC needs to file a Certificate of Amendment to update your LLC’s name, or principal/mailing address. You may note changes to your Alabama registered agent on your amendment; however, the state won’t officially recognize them until you file a Change of Registered Agent or Registered Office by Entity Form ($25).
What do I need to include on my Alabama LLC Certificate of Amendment?
Your Certificate of Amendment must include the following information:
- Business name: Provide the full name of your Alabama LLC listed on the original Certificate of Formation.
- Date of formation: Include the month, date, and year your Certificate of Formation was initially filed.
- Alabama entity ID number: This is the six digit number assigned to your LLC by the Secretary of State. If you don’t know your number, you may find it by searching the Alabama business database.
- Preparer name and address: Type the full name and address of the individual preparing your amendment.
- Previous Certificates of Amendment: If applicable, include the dates and counties any previous amendments were filed in.
- Amendment(s): Type a full list of changes and dates they were adopted. You may attach an additional list if necessary.
- Signature: Include the signature, printed name, and title of the authorized person filing the amendment.
- Additional documents: If changes are being made to your business’s name, you must also include a copy of your Name Reservation Form issued by the Secretary of State.
- Fees: Include a payment for $100 (standard processing) OR $200 (expedited) made out to the Secretary of State. If required by your county, also include a separate check or money order for the county processing fee.
Your Certificate of Amendment must be typed if submitted by mail. Handwritten documents will not be accepted.
How do I file an Alabama Certificate of Amendment?
The Alabama Domestic LLC Certificate of Amendment can be filed online or by mail.
To file your Certificate of Amendment online, use a Secretary of State Online Services application.
When filing by mail, send two copies of your completed Certificate of Amendment form (along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope) to:
Secretary of State
P.O. Box 5616
Montgomery, Alabama 36103.
How much does it cost to file an Alabama Certificate of Amendment?
For the Certificate of Amendment, the Alabama Secretary of State charges $100 for standard processing OR $200 to expedite service for mailed certificates.
How long does it take to process an Alabama Certificate of Amendment?
The Alabama Secretary of State will process your articles of amendment within 1-2 business days (standard processing) OR the same day it’s received (expedited).
Can I restate the initial articles instead of filing an Alabama LLC amendment?
Yes, you can restate the initial articles instead of filing a Certificate of Amendment. However, you must generate your own form. The Alabama Secretary of State will not provide you with one. Filings fees are the same—$100 for standard processing OR $200 for expedited.