Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Menu Menu
Start Here

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign LLC in Iowa

To register a foreign LLC in Iowa, you must file an Iowa Limited Liability Company Application for Certificate of Authority with the Iowa Secretary of State, Business Services Division. You can submit this document by mail, by fax, online, or in person. The Application for Certificate of Authority costs $100 to file. The following guide on registering a foreign LLC in Iowa answers the most common questions about how to file the Iowa Application for Certificate of Authority, but you can also sign up for our Iowa Foreign LLC service and let Northwest handle the details for you.

Free PDF Download

Download the Iowa Limited Liability Company Application for Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign LLC in Iowa. All for free.

Foreign Iowa LLC

$325 Total
Rated 4.5 / 5 stars by 242 clients on Google

Foreign Iowa LLC Application for Certificate of Authority

What does it cost to register a foreign LLC in Iowa?

$100 for normal processing.

How long does it take for the state to process the Iowa Application for Registration?

Online: 1 day
In Person Processing: while you wait.

How will I get verification of registration back from Iowa?

A verification certificate and a filed copy of your application will be returned to you by mail.

What forms do I file with Iowa to register my out of state LLC?

The Limited Liability Company Application for Certificate of Authority form, a Certificate of Existence and the filing fee is required.

What do I need from my home state?

Certificate of Existence is required.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

Authenticated within 90 days prior to the date of filing.

Will I need an Iowa registered agent for my LLC?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your registered agent in Iowa, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you are registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they will be emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the Iowa registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the Iowa Application for Registration?

By mail, fax or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

Iowa Secretary of State
Business Services Division
Lucas Building, 1st Floor
DesMoines, IA 50319
Phone: (515)281-5204
Fax: (515)242-5953 or (515)281-7142

Do the signatures on the Iowa LLC application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign LLC filing?

A person authorized by the company must sign the application form.

Are there any weird things about registering in Iowa?

The reporting requirements changed January 1, 2009.

County filing or publication is not necessary for a foreign LLC, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing Iowa annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

The first biennial report under this section must be delivered to the secretary of state between January 1 and April 1 of the first odd-numbered year following the calendar year in which a limited liability company was formed or was authorized to transact business. Subsequent Iowa biennial reports must be filed between January 1 and April 1 of each following odd-numbered calendar year.

What about Iowa taxes?

You will be subject to Iowa taxes, just like any Iowa LLC.

How do I withdraw my business from Iowa?

You just file a Statement of Cancellation to withdraw an Iowa business.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an Iowa registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in Iowa. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agent services.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Do Business The Right Way