Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Menu Menu
Start Here

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign LLC in South Dakota

To register a foreign LLC in South Dakota, you must file a South Dakota Application for Certificate of Authority with the South Dakota Secretary of State. You can submit this document online or by mail. The Application for Certificate of Authority costs $750 to file online and $765 to file by mail. The following guide on registering a foreign LLC in South Dakota answers the most common questions about how to file the South Dakota Application for Certificate of Authority, but you can also sign up for our South Dakota Foreign LLC service and let Northwest handle the details for you.

Free PDF Download

Download the South Dakota Application for Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign LLC in South Dakota. All for free.

1 Day Foreign South Dakota LLC

$975 Total
Rated 4.5 / 5 stars by 242 clients on Google

Foreign South Dakota LLC Application for Certificate of Authority

What does it cost to register a foreign LLC in South Dakota?

$750 for online processing and $765 for paper submissions. South Dakota charges $15 for handling paper filings. When you hire Northwest to register your foreign LLC in South Dakota, we’ll file your paperwork online. 

How long does it take for the state to process the South Dakota Application for Registration?

Online Filings: 1 day.
Mailed filings: 3-5 business days.

How will I get verification of registration back from South Dakota?

You will receive a verification certificate by mail or in person.

What forms do I file with South Dakota to register my out of state LLC?

The Application for Certificate of Authority form (in duplicate if you’re filing by mail), and original Certificate of Existence, and the filing fee is required.

What do I need from my home state?

A Certificate of Existence is required.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

It must be current within 90 days.

Will I need an South Dakota registered agent for my LLC?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your South Dakota registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you are registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they will be emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the South Dakota registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the South Dakota Application for Registration?

By mail or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

South Dakota Secretary of State
500 E. Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605)773-4845

Do the signatures on the South Dakota LLC application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign LLC filing?

A member or manager of the SD LLC must sign the form.

Are there any weird things about registering in South Dakota?

When listing a Commercial Registered Agent, you will need to state their CRA # on the form. This number can be obtained from the Commercial Registered Agent.

County filing or publication is not necessary, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing South Dakota annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

The South Dakota annual reports are due in your anniversary month, on the last day of the month.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an South Dakota registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in South Dakota. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional Resources:

South Dakota Taxes

Foreign LLCs

How to Withdraw a Foreign LLC in South Dakota

Do Business The Right Way