The Blaugg Blog Do you even Blaugg???

How to Move Your LLC to Tennessee

Move Your LLC to Tennessee

In order to do business in Tennessee, you’ll have to register your LLC with the Tennessee Secretary of State. Here’s what you need to know:

Can I move my existing LLC to Tennessee?

Yes. You have two main options for registering your LLC in Tennessee:

  • Formation / dissolution – This involves forming an entirely new Tennessee LLC and dissolving your current business in the state where it’s currently registered.
  • Foreign registration – Registering your LLC in Tennessee as a foreign (i.e. out-of-state) entity will allow you to legally conduct business in Tennessee while keeping your LLC registered in its state of formation. This is a good option if you’ll continue to conduct business in your current state, even after moving some aspect of your business operations to Tennessee.

How do I foreign register my LLC in Tennessee?

If you plan to do business in Tennessee as an out-of-state entity, you’ll have to apply for a Certificate of Authority through the Tennessee Department of State. (What Tennessee calls a certificate of authority is also known as foreign registration or foreign qualification.) To apply, you’ll need to provide a Certificate of Good Standing from your home state and pay the associated fee of $50 per member ($300 minimum/$3,000 maximum).

For more details on registering an out-of-state LLC in Tennessee, check out Northwest’s page: Register a Foreign LLC in Tennessee.

Does Tennessee offer domestication?

No. Domestication is the state-assisted process of transferring your LLC’s formation documents from one state to another (in this case: Tennessee). It’s often the most affordable and efficient method for moving a business from one state to another. Unfortunately, Tennessee doesn’t offer a process for domestication.

This entry was posted in Opinion.