Charity Registration In Oklahoma
FREE GUIDE TO CHARITY REGISTRATION IN OKLAHOMA
Do I have to register my non-profit corporation as a charity in Oklahoma?
Yes, if your OK nonprofit organization solicits donations of any kind, you must register as a charity with the Oklahoma Secretary of State.
How do I register as a charity in Oklahoma?
Complete the Registration Statement of Charitable Organization and submit it and the following attachments to the OK Secretary of State:
- If you hire any professional fundraisers, you must attach a Professional Fundraiser Information form.
- If federally tax exempt, you must attach a copy of your organization’s most recent tax filing, or the IRS’ Letter of Determination.
- If your organization has not received tax exempt status, you must include a copy of your Articles of Incorporation, or any other formal evidence stating that the organization has been formed in a state for a not-for-profit purpose.
- A list of the names and addresses of each officer, director, trustee, and any salaried executive employees.
You can file by mail or in person.
How much does it cost to register as a charity in Oklahoma?
If you expect to raise less than $10,000 annually, the filing fee is $15. If you expect to raise more than $10,000 each year, the fee is $65. You can pay with a check or money order. If you file in person, you can pay an additional $25 expedite fee for same day processing.
How long does it take for Oklahoma to process the charity registration?
One to three days if you file in person. Seven to 10 days if you file by mail.
Do Oklahoma charities need to renew their charity registrations?
Yes. Each year, the charity must renew their registration by filing the same forms and paper work they originally submitted to the Oklahoma Secretary of State. Renewals are due by the anniversary of charity’s registration.
Does Oklahoma have any charity registration exemptions?
Yes. The following types of Oklahoma nonprofit organizations do not have to register as charitable organizations in Oklahoma:
- Religious organizations.
- Accredited educational institutions.
- Organizations that only solicit donations from members, and where a donation isn’t required for membership.
- Persons soliciting contributions for a specific, named individual. Like say your best friend Ralph needs an operation. You can collect donations for Ralph to pay for the operation without registering as a charitable organization.
Contact Info for Charitable Organizations:
Oklahoma Secretary of State
2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Room 101
Oklahoma City, OK 73105-4897
Phone: (405) 522-2520