Hawaii Registered Agent
When you choose Northwest as your Hawaii Registered Agent, you get instant service, Privacy by Default®, a business address, and free mail forwarding. And if you want more, you can get a domain name, website, email, and phone number for free.
Want to learn more about what a registered agent does in Hawaii? We'll explain the Hawaii Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division requirements, what your registered agent should do for you, and how to change your registered agent in Hawaii.
When You Want More
$125 a Year Every Year
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service.
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications
- Privacy by Default®
- Business Address & Free Mail Forwarding
- Free Domain, Website, Email & Business Phone
What Is A Hawaii Registered Agent?
A Hawaii registered agent is a person or business, appointed by you, that will accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail on behalf of your business. In other words, your registered agent’s Hawaii address acts as the official place where any service of process and official mail for your Hawaii LLC, Hawaii corporation or Hawaii nonprofit will be sent.
The legal requirements for Hawaii registered agents are outlined in HI Revised Stat. § 428-105. Your Hawaii registered agent must:
- Be a resident of Hawaii or a domestic or foreign business entity registered in Hawaii.
- Maintain a physical street address (no P.O. boxes) in Hawaii.
A registered agent can do so much more than just receive mail. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
How Do I Change My Hawaii Registered Agent?
There are two ways to change your registered agent in Hawaii:
- Hire us and we’ll complete the change of agent form for you for free.
- Do it yourself and file a Change of Registered Agent by Entity with the Hawaii Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division.
Why Northwest Is the Best Registered Agent in Hawaii
Our Hawaii Registered Agent Service includes the tools you need to keep your business running without a hitch. When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, you get:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Want more? Add free trials of any of these options at checkout:
- Domain Name: Choose a domain name from a list of popular extensions (like .com and .net).
- Website: We provide a pre-built business website, customizable using an open source platform.
- Business Email Address: Create up to 10 business email addresses of your choosing. They’ll end in your domain name for branding ease.
- Phone Number: Keep your personal line private by using a business phone number for client communications.
How to Order Hawaii Registered Agent Service
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Hawaii registered agent service once your business registration filing with Hawaii’s Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Hawaii registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
It’s easy to add registered agent services in other states if your business expands. We have offices in every state. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Hawaii registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Hawaii corporate compliance.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Hawaii Registered Agent FAQs
Why do I need a Hawaii Registered Agent?
State law requires all Hawaii registered businesses to appoint a local registered agent. Hawaii’s Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent. Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so the state of Hawaii and general public have a reliable way to contact your business or serve it legal notice.
Can I be my own registered agent in Hawaii?
Yes you can act as your own registered agent in Hawaii. This means you would be the person designated to accept all official mail on behalf of your business, including service of process, and will serve as your business’ primary contact with the state. There are only a few requirements for you to act as your own registered agent in Hawaii: you must be a resident and have a physical street address in the state of Hawaii where you keep regular business hours (the physical residence can be the same address as the business).
Being your own registered agent in Hawaii will cost you $0, however, when you act as your own registered agent, your name and address become part of public record. You’ll also have to maintain regular business hours (9am to 5pm) at the address you listed.
Where is Northwest's registered office located?
Aloha! Our downtown Honolulu office is blocks away from the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. We charge $125 a year for registered agent service in Hawaii.
We locally scan all items we receive at our registered agent office in Hawaii, a local Honolulu address, for no charge. One of the nice things our Hawaii resident agent clients enjoy is being able to log into their online registered agent account and see when their next Hawaii report is due. We appreciate the chance to be your Hawaii agent. Mahalo!
Can I use your registered office address for everything on my formation paperwork?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re filing your state paperwork. This helps keep your private address off public records, and shows how far we’ll go to protect your privacy.
Can I have my business mail delivered to your registered office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have a unique address or suite number.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I hire a registered agent before or after I start my business in Hawaii?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Hawaii’s Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list a registered agent. And if you list your own address as your registered agent, you can say aloha to your privacy.
How do Hawaii registered agents get served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. Here’s how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court, because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How do I search for a Hawaii registered agent?
You can look up a company’s basic details online with a Hawaii business name search. Here’s how that works:
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the company’s registered agent and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify the business through their Hawaii registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How do I resign as a registered agent in Hawaii?
To resign as a registered agent in Hawaii, you’ll need to submit a Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent to Hawaii’s Business Registration Division. Our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Hawaii digs deeper.
Will you let me know when my Hawaii Annual Report is due?
Yes! We send all of our clients reminders when the annual report is due. Annual reports will get mailed to your main business address not your registered agent’s. You can hire us to file for you, or file on your own. Your Hawaii Annual Report’s due date is determined by when you initially formed your business, so things can get tricky. Check out our guide to Hawaii’s Annual Report to learn more.