Wyoming Registered Agent
When You Want More
A Wyoming registered agent is an individual or company designated to receive service of process on behalf of a business (LLC or corporation). The registered agent serves as your business’s official point of contact with the state and the legal world and is required to have a street address with a physical location in Wyoming.
With our Wyoming registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, business address, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Wyoming Registered Agents:
What Do Wyoming Registered Agents Do?
According to Wyoming state law (W.S. 17-28-101), business entities formed with the Wyoming Secretary of State must appoint a registered agent and have a registered office physically located in Wyoming. The law is built on the notion of due process and the idea that lawsuits shouldn’t be able to go forward in court unless a business has been properly notified. Basically the court system doesn’t want to track you down all over the country. They want a way to notify every company locally in Wyoming.
Your Wyoming registered agent does the following:
- Maintain your company’s contact information (names and addresses of members/managers and officers/directors).
- Receive mail and important legal notices for you.
- Notify you when documents are received and forward them to you.
- Notify you when your annual reports are due.
- Maintain your registered office address.
However, the right registered agent service can also do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
How Do I Change My Wyoming Registered Agent?
There are two ways to change your registered agent in Wyoming.
- Hire us and we’ll complete the change of agent form for you for free.
- Do it yourself and file both the Statement of Change by Business Entity form and Consent to Appointment by Registered Agent form with the Wyoming Secretary of State.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service. But why? At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local Wyoming office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: For every client and every service, we minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. We never sell your data. We list our own business address on public docs to better keep your personal info safe. Our commitment to privacy puts our clients first.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: As your registered agent, we automatically accept and scan your state and legal mail. Sometimes, however, we receive personal or business mail from clients or companies trying to connect with your business. We’ll accept and scan these for you as well—up to 5 documents a year FREE. We’ll also scan additional mail at a per doc rate of $15.
- Unlimited Mail Forwarding: Expecting much more business mail? For $20 a month, we also offer unlimited Wyoming mail forwarding. Our unlimited option includes a Wyoming business address with a unique suite number—great for listing on your website, establishing a business presence, or giving a home or online business a more professional appearance. We even accept Amazon Verification Cards, but we can not be your Amazon return address since our offices aren’t equip to hold anything beyond regular sized mail.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Wyoming Registered Agent FAQs
How Does Wyoming Know Who My Registered Agent Is?
When you form an LLC or corporation in Wyoming, you will file official paperwork (articles of incorporation for corporations, articles of organization for an LLC) with the WY Secretary of State. These certificates specifically ask for the name and address of your Wyoming registered agent. Wyoming also requires that registered agent sign, in black ink, the Consent to Appointment by Registered Agent form (unless you file online).
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Wyoming?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Wyoming. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0 upfront, a Wyoming registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Wyoming?
Our Wyoming registered office is in Sheridan, WY. The registered office is the actual, physical address of the Wyoming registered agent. This is the address where all official mail and services of process will be delivered and received. This is also the address that will be listed as the business’ contact on the WY secretary of state’s public records.
So, whenever someone looks up the official business address or tries to find the owner’s address, your Wyoming registered agent’s address is what will be listed.
Can I Use Your Wyoming Registered Office Address For Everything On My State Business Filing?
Yes! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything on a filing to help keep your address private.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Wyoming Office?
Yes! Just sign up for our unlimited Wyoming Mail Forwarding option ($20/month). You’ll get a unique suite number and a Wyoming business address you can use for mail, advertising and more. While you can use our address, we are not a return depot for online or Amazon sellers, though we’d love to accept your foosball tables.
Don’t need a unique suite number? Our Wyoming registered agent service comes with free limited mail forwarding. We’ll list our business address (no unique suite number) on your public docs to better protect your privacy. And, we’ll scan the occasional business mail we receive—up to 5 documents a year, for FREE. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before I Start My Business In Wyoming?
Definitely. You can’t form your corporation or LLC in Wyoming if you don’t have a registered agent. Although some are confused when they hire a registered agent before forming their business, as they think they’ll need their business’ official name first. But there’s no need worry. After you hire your Wyoming registered agent (or appoint yourself or other individual) and fill out the Consent to Appointment by Registered Agent, if you find that your proposed business name isn’t available with the Secretary of State, you can always choose another one—just let your registered agent know.
How Is A Registered Agent In Wyoming Served With A Lawsuit?
A process server will deliver a summons notice and a complaint form to your registered agent. The summons notice is basically instructions for how to respond to the lawsuit. The complaint form outlines who is suing, the reason they’re suing, and what the person or entity suing you wants in compensation (i.e. how much money they want from you). These documents are delivered to your Wyoming registered agent’s address, where your registered agent signs for the server’s documents, acknowledging receipt of the lawsuit.
If you’ve hired Northwest Registered Agent, within minutes of receiving service of process, we’ll upload the document to your account and you’ll instantly receive an email prompting you to log into your account and take action.
How Do I Search For A Company's Wyoming Registered Agent?
- You can do a Wyoming business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the WY registered agent name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify someone through their Wyoming registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Wyoming?
In Wyoming, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit a Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent to the Wyoming Secretary of State, Business Division. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Wyoming.
How To Order Wyoming Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year’s fee for registered agent service up front.
For new businesses, once your business registration filing with the Wyoming Secretary of State is complete, we’ll become your Wyoming registered agent.
About a year later, we’ll send an invoice for another year of Wyoming registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
It’s easy to add registered agent services in other states if your business expands. We have offices in every state. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Wyoming registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with corporate paperwork formalities like the Wyoming annual report.