Starting a Business in CaliforniaWe’re Just Not Annoying®
HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA
Starting a business in California can and should be easier than you think. You file a few simple forms with the California Secretary of State, and your new company is formed! Obviously there are a few more things than that, but, if you’d like to start your business yourself, we make it easy to hire us as your registered agent. From there, you’ll find all the forms you need to file to start a business in California, along with practical filing instructions about the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in California.
What’s the actual process to start a business in California?
Articles of Incorporation
You file articles of incorporation for an California corporation or articles of organization for an California LLC with the CA Secretary of State.
Initial Statement of Information
You file your initial statement of information.
The CA Franchise Tax Board will send you an informational request form where you can register with them.
Federal Tax ID
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of California showing your approved California business.
Business Bank Account
Opening a business banking account under your new California business name should be easy with these your formation documents and tax id.
Department of Revenue
If you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax, you will probably need to register with the CA department of revenue. We provide all these links in your online account.
If your business trade requires a license, you’ll have to apply for a license with the California licensing board. (Most businesses don’t.) But if you do, these quick links and contact details are in your online account.
Some local cities or counties have a general license, but most don’t.
You obtain a local trade license if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to start a business in California yourself, you can just hire us as your California registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the California LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate an California corporation or form a California LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional California registered agent service.Start Your Business Today
If you want a corporation, you file California Articles of Incorporation:
The California articles of incorporation cost $100 with the California Secretary of State.
We custom draft your California articles of incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your California business. The basic requirements of California corporations are:
- The California corporation must have a corporate ending such as incorporated, corporation or an abbreviation thereof.
- The duration of the corporation is “perpetual” unless otherwise stated.
- The purpose of the California corporation is general.
- The number of shares the California corporation is authorized to issue.
- The name of the registered agent for service of process in California.
- The name and address of the California incorporators.
- Date of execution.
- The California incorporator must sign the articles of incorporation.
- California does not require original signatures on new CA corporation filings. The stamped form will be mailed to the address of the person who filed the documents.
If you want an LLC, you file California Articles of Organization:
To form an California LLC, you file California articles of organization. The basic requirements of California LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it such as LLC, L.L.C.
- The California business name must be different than already registered California businesses.
- California limited liability companies do not need to state a LLC purpose.
- The California registered agent. You only list the agent name.
- The names and addresses of the initial member(s) are not required
- If the CA limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, you must specify this management structure. Managers names are not required. You can elect to be managed by all members.
- Someone must sign as the CA LLC organizer.
- California does not require original signatures on new CA LLC filings. You’ll get a certificate of formation mailed back to you after the state approves your filing only if you mail in your order in duplicate.