Starting a Business in MarylandWe’re Just Not Annoying®
HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN MARYLAND
Starting a business in Maryland can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the State Department of Assessments and Taxation, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in Maryland, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in Maryland.
What’s the actual process to start a business in Maryland?
Maryland business registration is started when you file the articles of organization or incorporation with the State Department of Assessments and Taxation. You can now complete your MD corporation or MD LLC filing online!
Federal Tax ID
You obtain a federal tax ID number with the IRS after you have confirmation from Maryland that the entity is completely filed.
You should be able to open a business banking account with these two items.
Department of Labor
You contact the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation if you’re going to have employees or to get a trade license.
You obtain a local license, if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop, you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
You can save some money:
If you want to start a business in Maryland yourself, you can just hire us as your Maryland registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the Maryland LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a Maryland corporation or form a Maryland LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional Maryland registered agent service.Start Your Business Today
If you want a corporation, you file Maryland Articles of Incorporation:
The Maryland articles of incorporation cost $100 plus a $20 organization fee with the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation.
We custom draft your Maryland articles of incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your Maryland business. The basic requirements of Maryland corporations are:
- The name and address of the incorporator.
- The Maryland Corporation must have a corporate ending such as INC, Incorporated, Corporation or a different variety.
- The Maryland corporation name must be different than already registered Maryland corporations.
- The purpose of the Maryland Corporation.
- The street address of the principal office of the corporation.
- The name and office address of the registered/resident agent in Maryland.
- The value of and number of shares the Maryland Corporation is authorized to issue.
- The number of directors of the Maryland Corporation and their names.
- The Maryland incorporator and resident agent must sign the articles of incorporation.
- The filing party’s contact information.
Maryland does not require original signatures on new MD corporation filings. The stamped form will be mailed to the address of the person who filed the documents.
If you want a LLC, you file Maryland Articles of Organization:
To form a Maryland LLC, you file Maryland articles of organization and pay the $100 fee. The basic requirements of Maryland LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it such as LLC, L.L.C.
- The Maryland business name must be different than already registered Maryland businesses.
- The duration of the Maryland LLC, (Usually perpetual.)
- Maryland limited liability companies do not need to state a LLC purpose.
- The Maryland registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and addresses of the initial member(s) are not required.
- If the MD limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, you must specify this management structure. Managers names are not required.
- Someone must sign as the MD LLC organizer.
Maryland does not require original signatures on new MD LLC filings. You’ll get a certificate of formation mailed back to you after the state approves your filing.