Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Corporation in Vermont

To register a foreign corporation in Vermont, you must file a Vermont Application for Certificate of Authority with the Vermont Secretary of State. You can submit this document by mail or online. The Certificate of Authority for a foreign Vermont corporation costs $125 to file. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in Vermont. Or, sign up for our Vermont Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the Vermont Application for Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in Vermont. All for free.

3 Day Vermont Foreign Corporation

$350 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 556 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in Vermont

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in Vermont?

$125 for normal processing.
$125 for non-profit.

How long does it take for the state to process the Vermont Certificate of Authority?

Online processing takes 1-3 business days, but it can take several days longer for mailed filings. When you hire Northwest to register your foreign corporation in Vermont, we’ll submit your paperwork online.

How will I get verification of qualification back from Vermont?

You will receive a certificate and a file stamped copy by return mail.

What forms do I file with Vermont to qualify my out of State Corporation?

The Application for Certificate of Authority form (in duplicate), a Certificate of Good Standing, the filing fee, and a self-addressed envelope is required.

What do I need from my home state?

Certificate of Good Standing.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

It must be current within 30 days of filing.

Will I need an Vermont registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your registered agent in Vermont, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year. You’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you’re registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the Vermont registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the Vermont Certificate of Authority?

By mail or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

Vermont Secretary of State
26 Terrace Street
Montpelier, VT 05609-1104
Phone: (802)828-2386

Do the signatures on the Vermont corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

A person authorized by the foreign Vermont corporation must sign the form.

Are there any weird things about registering in Vermont?

County filing or publication is not necessary for foreign corporations, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing Vermont annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

Annual reports in Vermont are due 2.5 months from the end of the fiscal year, which is usually March 15th.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an Vermont registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in Vermont. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional Resources:

Taxes in Vermont
How to Withdraw a Foreign Corporation in Vermont

When You Want More