Vermont Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Vermont resident or company that maintains a physical address in the state and is willing to accept legal documents on behalf of a business. We scan and upload those documents at our office in Shelburne, VT so you can view them immediately.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Vermont Registered Agents:
- Get Vermont Registered Agent Service
- What Do Vermont Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements For Vermont Registered Agents
- How To Be Your Own Vermont Registered Agent
- How Do I Change My Vermont Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- Vermont Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do Vermont Registered Agents Do?
Your Vermont registered agent maintains a physical address in Vermont and accepts important legal documents (service of process) and official mail on your business’s behalf.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are The Legal Requirements For Vermont Registered Agents?
According to the Vermont state code (11A V.S.A. § 5.01), a registered agent must:
- Be able to accept legal documents.
- Have a physical, registered office address located within the state. No P.O. Boxes.
- A VT registered agent must be a Vermont resident or a business that provides registered agent services.
How To Be Your Own Vermont Registered Agent
If you have yet to start a Vermont business, then you can put down your own name and address in the space provided for registered agent information on the formation documents. The documents ask for the name of the registered agent, as well as the street address and PO Box (if applicable).
If you already operate a business in Vermont, you can still be your own registered agent. You will just need to change your Vermont registered agent by filing a Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent form with the Vermont secretary of state. On this form you will write your own name and address where it asks for registered agent information, sign the form, and send it in along with the $20 fee ($5 if you are a nonprofit corporation). It takes Vermont about one week to file your paperwork, and once it has been filed you will officially be the registered agent for your Vermont LLC or Vermont corporation.
What do I need to know about being my own registered agent in Vermont?
First of all, it is required for registered agents to have a physical street address in Vermont—not just a PO Box. Second, you must keep regular business hours at this street address for as long as you act as your business’ registered agent.
Also, be prepared for process servers to come knocking on your door. And, once you put your name and address on record with the secretary of state as registered agent, your information is public knowledge.
If you can meet these requirements, you are ready to become your business’s own registered agent.
How Do I Change My Vermont Registered Agent?
It costs $25 to file a change of agent form for your Vermont registered agent. The Vermont change of registered agent form is in your online account after you sign up with us.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Vermont Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Vermont Registered Agent?
- All businesses registered with the state must appoint a registered agent.
- The Vermont Secretary of State’s Corporation’s Division will reject your filing if you do not appoint one.
- So that the state and the general public have a reliable way to contact your Vermont business with legal notices and other types of official mail.
Note: The Vermont Secretary of State sometimes calls registered agents “process agents,” especially in reference to LLCs. Both terms mean the same thing.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Vermont?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Vermont. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a Vermont registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Vermont?
We accept and scan all of our Vermont clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Shelburne, VT.
Can I Use Your Vermont Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Vermont Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Vermont?
Sign up for registered agent service first and then do your business registration filing with the secretary of state. The state won’t allow you to form an LLC or corporation without a registered agent. Plus, you’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you sign up.
How Do Vermont Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Vermont registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Vermont Registered Agent?
- You can do a Vermont business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the VT registered agent name and registered office street address.
NOTE: If you want to legally notify someone through their Vermont registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Vermont Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Vermont registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Vermont Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Vermont registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Vermont registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Vermont corporate compliance.