Arrow Graphic

COVID-19 Update:

As an essential business, we’ve been blessed to stay busy. We’re open, fully operational, and committed to providing the highest level of customer service. But let’s be honest: Covid-19 sucks! While Northwest Registered Agent can’t make face masks or work on medical breakthroughs, we can help you stay in business or start a new one. For those struggling, we’ve never charged a late fee and if you’re a current customer and can’t pay your bill, that’s okay. We don’t need to adjust our systems or offer you a coupon code. If you can’t pay us—don’t—we’ll float you as long as possible. We witness our country’s resilience every day as we’ve been flooded with orders from people starting new businesses. While most of our Corporate Guides are now working remote, our efficiency has gone down, but we’ve hired 17 new people since March 1, and we’re figuring out how to hire remote workers better. We’re ramping up for the future, whatever that means for all of us. Thanks for the opportunity to help serve you along the way.

Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Get Started
Get Started

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Corporation in South Dakota

To register a foreign corporation in South Dakota, you must file a South Dakota Application for Certificate of Authority with the South Dakota Secretary of State. You can submit this document online or by mail. The Certificate of Authority for a foreign South Dakota corporation costs $750 to file online and $765 to file by mail. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in South Dakota. Or, sign up for our South Dakota Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the South Dakota Application for Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in South Dakota. All for free.

1 Day South Dakota Foreign Corporation

$975 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 117 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in South Dakota

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in South Dakota?

$750 for online processing and $765 for paper submissions. South Dakota charges $15 for handling paper filings. When you hire Northwest to register your foreign LLC in South Dakota, we’ll file your paperwork online and get your paperwork processed in 1 business day.

How long does it take for the state to process the South Dakota Certificate of Authority?

Online processing: 1 business day.
Mailed filings: 3-5 business days.

How will I get verification of qualification back from South Dakota?

You will receive a verification certificate by mail or in person.

What forms do I file with South Dakota to qualify my out of State Corporation?

The Application for Certificate of Authority form (in duplicate if you file by mail), and original Certificate of Existence, and the filing fee is required.

What do I need from my home state?

Certificate of Existence is required.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

It must be current within 90 days.

Will I need an South Dakota registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your SD registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year. You’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you’re registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the South Dakota registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the South Dakota Certificate of Authority?

By mail or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

South Dakota Secretary of State
500 E. Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605)773-4845

Do the signatures on the South Dakota corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

An authorized officer of the foreign SD corporation must sign the form.

Are there any weird things about registering in South Dakota?

When listing a Commercial Registered Agent, you will need to state their CRA # on the form. This number can be obtained from the Commercial Registered Agent.

County filing or publication is not necessary, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing South Dakota annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

Annual reports in South Dakota are due on your anniversary month, on the last day of that month.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an South Dakota registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in South Dakota. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional Resources:

Taxes in South Dakota
How to Withdraw a Foreign Corporation in South Dakota
State by State Foreign Corporation Requirements

Corporate Compliance
by Local Corporate Guides®