Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Register an Alaska Foreign LLC

An Alaska Foreign LLC is an LLC formed in another state or jurisdiction that also does business in Alaska. Doing business as a foreign LLC requires registering with the Alaska Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing, paying the $350 state filing fee, and submitting the required state compliance reports. The Alaska Department of Revenue considers an entity to be transacting business if it owns or leases real property, has inventory, makes sales, or has employees in the state.

Ready to Register A Foreign LLC in Alaska?


How To Register a Foreign LLC in Alaska

To register as a foreign LLC in Alaska, you will submit a Certificate of Registration to the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing and pay the required state fee. The process is called foreign qualification. Here’s how it works.

1. Appoint an Alaska Registered Agent

First, you must appoint an Alaska registered agent. Your registered agent must have a physical address in Alaska and be present at that address during regular business hours to accept service of process in person.

Can I be the registered agent for my Alaska foreign LLC?

That depends. An Alaska registered agent must live in the state. If you don’t live in Alaska, you can’t be your own registered agent for your foreign LLC. You can appoint an individual you trust who lives in Alaska or hire a registered agent service that has an Alaska office.

Why hire an Alaska registered agent service?

Hiring a registered agent service protects your privacy, since you can list their business address on the Certificate of Registration instead of your own.

2. Complete the Certificate of Registration

Before your LLC can legally do business in Alaska, you must complete a form called the Certificate of Registration and submit it to the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing.

Here is the information you will need to include on the Certificate of Registration:

  • The legal name of your LLC in your home state.
  • The assumed business name you will use if your legal business name is not available.
  • The state where your business was formed (called the “state of domicile”).
  • The date when your business was formed.
  • The duration of your business (if your LLC has a specific end date).
  • Business purpose and NAICS Code (a code used to categorize business activity).
  • Registered agent name and address. This must include an actual street address in Alaska.
  • Principal office address. This must be a physical address, but it doesn’t need to be in Alaska.
  • Management structure—whether your business is managed by members (owners) or managers.
  • Member or manager information. The name, mailing address, and membership interest of each member (if they own at least 5% of the company) and manager.
  • Signature of authorized person. This does not have to be anyone in your LLC.

The Certificate of Registration also includes a Contact Information Sheet. You’ll need to provide the name, email, phone number, and mailing address of the person the state can contact once your filing has been approved or to answer questions about your filing. This information does NOT go on the public record.

Ready to get started? Register your foreign LLC in Alaska with Northwest.

How much does it cost to file the Alaska Certificate of Registration?

The state filing fee for the Alaska Certificate of Registration is $350.

How do I file my Certificate of Registration in Alaska?

You can file your Certificate of Registration online or by mail.

By Mail:
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806

Online: Alaska State Website

Does my foreign LLC need to file formation documents in Alaska?

No. Formation documents for LLCs, often called Articles of Organization, are only filed in the company’s home state.

3. Receive your Verification of Registration

Once the Alaska Corporations Division has approved your filing, they will mail you a stamped copy of your Certificate of Registration. This is often called a Certificate of Authority and grants you permission to do business in Alaska.

How long will it take Alaska to process my Certificate of Registration?

Alaska processes online filings immediately, however, it can take the state up 15 days to approve mailed filings.

Alaska FAQ

Alaska Foreign LLC Registration FAQ

How do I amend a foreign LLC in Alaska?

To amend your foreign LLC in Alaska, you will need to file an Amended Certificate of Registration and pay a $25 filing fee. You can use an Amended Certificate of Registration if your business name or contact information changes.

What does it mean to do business in Alaska?

Alaska’s state statutes do not specifically define what activities count as doing business or—as the statutes put it—“conducting affairs” in the state. But according to the Alaska Department of Revenue, a company is doing business if it “has sales, or payroll, and real or personal property in this state.” The Department of Revenue goes on to explain that it’s up to you and your lawyer to determine if your business activity qualifies.

Activities that are NOT considered conducting affairs in Alaska are listed in AL Stat 10.50.720. For example, simply opening a business bank account in Alaska does not count as conducting affairs, and an out-of-state LLC that does this does not need to register with the Division of Corporations.

Read more about what counts as doing business in another state.

Do I have to file an Alaska biennial report for my foreign LLC?

Yes. Your foreign LLC will need to file an Alaska Biennial Report on January 2nd every other year. If you register your foreign LLC in an even-numbered year, your biennial report will be due on January 2nd on every even-numbered year following. If you register your LLC during an odd-numbered year, your biennial report will be due January 2nd on every odd-number year following.

How can I change my Alaska registered agent or business address?

If you want to change your Alaska registered agent or business address at the same time, you can report the change on your biennial report. Additionally, there are two other ways to make these changes:

  1. To change just your Alaska registered agent, file a Statement of Change form.
  2. To change just your business address, file an Entity Address Change.

How are foreign LLCs in Alaska taxed?

Foreign LLCs in Alaska are taxed as pass-through entities by default, meaning the LLC itself doesn’t pay taxes. Instead, the profits pass through the LLC to the members, who report the profits as income on their personal tax returns. LLCs can file with the IRS to be taxed as corporations.

How do I withdraw my Alaska foreign LLC?

If you would like to withdraw your Foreign Alaska LLC, simply file a Certificate of Cancellation with the Alaska Corporations Division. There is a $25 filing fee.

Ready to Register a Foreign LLC in Alaska?