Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Nonprofit in Montana

To register a foreign nonprofit in the State of Montana, you must file a Certificate of Authority for Foreign Nonprofit Corporation with Montana Secretary of State. You can submit this document by mail. The Certificate of Authority for Foreign Nonprofit Corporation for a Montana foreign nonprofit corporation costs $20 to file. Below, we cover the most frequently asked questions about how to file the Certificate of Authority for Foreign Nonprofit Corporation and register a foreign nonprofit in Montana. Or, you can simply sign up for our Montana Foreign Nonprofit service, and we’ll take care of your registration ourselves!

Free PDF Download

Download the Montana Certificate of Authority for Foreign Nonprofit Corporation. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Nonprofit in Montana. All for free.

5 Day Montana Foreign Nonprofit

$245 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 556 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Nonprofit in Montana

What is the first step in registering my foreign non profit in MT?

First you will obtain a Certificate of Authority from the Montana secretary of state.

How do I get a Certificate of Authority?

You will submit a Certificate of Authority for Foreign Nonprofit Corporation form. This must be filed before you start conducting any affairs in the state of Montana.

Do I submit anything else along with this form?

There is a $20 filing fee and you will also need a Certificate of Existence signed by the secretary of state in the state your non profit was formed in originally.

Will I need to reserve the name of my foreign non profit in MT?

If the name of a foreign corporation doesn’t satisfy the requirements of Montana state law, it can use a fictitious name to conduct affairs under. There is a Registration of Corporate Name of Foreign Nonprofit Corporation Application form that is available. It expires on December 31 of each year. You can renew your name registration between October 1 and December 31. It can be mailed to the same address as above.

Is there a fee to register my foreign non profit’s name?

It is $10.

How long will it take to process my documents?

About ten days.

Will I need to file an annual report in Montana?

Domestic Montana non profits and foreign non profits file annual reports online on the Montana Secretary of State website. They are due each year on or before April 15.

Is there a fee to file my annual report?

Yes, there is a $15 fee if you file on or before April 1. If you file after April 15, the fee is $30.

Do I need a Montana registered agent?

Yes. You will need to hire a Montana registered agent for your nonprofit. We provide all the forms, filing instructions, and annual report reminders you need in your online account for just $125 a year.

Are there any other Montana registrations for my nonprofit?

You will want to apply for Montana tax exempt status with the Department of Revenue.

Unlike most states, Montana non profits soliciting donations do not have to register as charities with the Attorney General or other state agency.

Where do I send the application and other documents?

Montana Secretary of State
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801

When You Want More