Nebraska Registered Agent
When You Want More
A Nebraska registered agent is a resident or business that maintains a registered office address in Nebraska and is willing to accept service of process and official mail on behalf of a business. The registered agent must be capable of accepting service of any process, notice, or demand required by law to be served on a business.
With our Nebraska registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, business address, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Nebraska Registered Agents:
- Get Nebraska Registered Agent Service
- What Do Nebraska Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements For Nebraska Registered Agents
- How To Be Your Own Nebraska Registered Agent
- How Do I Change My Nebraska Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- Nebraska Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do Nebraska Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, your Nebraska registered agent accepts important legal documents on behalf of your business at a physical location in the state (known as a registered office). In other words, your registered agent’s address acts as the official place where any service of process and official mail for your Nebraska LLC, Nebraska corporation or Nebraska nonprofit will be sent.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are The Legal Requirements For Nebraska Registered Agents?
Nebraska has the same registered agent requirements regardless of whether your business is a corporation, LLC, or non-profit. According to Nebraska state statute §21-113, registered agents must:
- Be a state resident or a person authorized to transact business in the state.
- Maintain a registered office (a physical address in Nebraska). No P.O. boxes.
- Accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
Note: In order to accept the appointment of service, a registered agent must either sign the appointing document or submit a written statement to the secretary of state acknowledging the appointment.
How To Be Your Own Nebraska Registered Agent
If you have not yet formed a Nebraska business, you can become your own Nebraska registered agent when you fill out the formation documents. There is space on the formation documents for the address and name of the business’ registered agent; put your information here. Once the documents are filed with the state, you are officially registered agent for your Nebraska business.
What if I already have a registered agent?
If you already have a registered agent for your business, then you will need to change your Nebraska registered agent by filing a Domestic Change of Registered Agent and/or Office form (there are different forms for LLCs, corporations, and non-profit corporations). On this form you must write in your current registered agent’s information as well as the new information it will change to—which will be your name and physical street address. There is a $15 filing fee for for-profit corporations and LLCs, and $10 for nonprofits.
What are the requirements for being your own registered agent in Nebraska?
If you plan to act as your own Nebraska registered agent, there are some important rules you must adhere to:
- You must have a physical street address in Nebraska. A PO Box won’t do. The state wants to be assured that there is an actual address that you can be found at in case your business is served.
- You must keep regular business hours. These business hours must be kept at your physical street address in Nebraska so that you can be reached at a normal time, consistently.
- Your business cannot be its own registered agent. While you as an individual person can be the registered agent for your business, the business cannot act as its own agent. Another business can, however (such as a commercial registered agent company).
If you can stick to the above guidelines, then you can act as your own registered agent for your Nebraska LLC or Nebraska corporation. Just remember: once you have filed those documents with your name and address on them, they are searchable public knowledge. You must also be fine with process server knocking on your door.
How Do I Change My Nebraska Registered Agent?
There are two ways to change your registered agent in Nebraska.
- Hire us and we’ll complete the change of agent form for you for free.
- Do it yourself and file a Change of Registered Agent form with the Nebraska Secretary of State. For LLCs, the filing fee is $10 plus $5 per page, and there is no fee for corporations.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Nebraska Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Nebraska Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Nebraska?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Nebraska. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a Nebraska registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Nebraska?
We accept and scan all of our Nebraska clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Lincoln, NE.
Can I Use Your Nebraska Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
You can use our address for all the address info on your corporation or LLC filing! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Nebraska Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Nebraska?
Definitely hire us before you form your Nebraska corporation or LLC. The Nebraska Secretary of State will not accept your business registration filing if you don’t list a registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly in your online account after you sign up.
How Do Nebraska Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Nebraska registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Nebraska Registered Agent?
- You can do a Nebraska business name search via the Nebraska Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you want to serve or contact.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Nebraska registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Nebraska?
In Nebraska, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit two exact copies of the Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent to the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Business Services Division. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Nebraska.
How To Order Nebraska Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Nebraska registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Nebraska Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Nebraska registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Nebraska registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Nebraska corporate compliance.