New Hampshire Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A New Hampshire registered agent is an individual or company that accepts service of process and other legal notifications on behalf of a New Hampshire business. All business entities—including LLCs and corporations—are legally required to have a registered agent. As your New Hampshire registered agent, we accept legal documents or official business mail on your behalf, contact you immediately and upload these documents to your secure online account for you to view.
With our registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About New Hampshire Registered Agents:
- Get New Hampshire Registered Agent Service
- What Do New Hampshire Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements For New Hampshire Registered Agents
- How To Be Your Own New Hampshire Registered Agent
- How Do I Change My New Hampshire Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- New Hampshire Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do New Hampshire Registered Agents Do?
Your New Hampshire registered agent should maintain a registered office, a physical address in the state where they accept documents on behalf of your business. Your registered agent accepts your company’s legal documents (service of process) and official mail.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are The Legal Requirements For New Hampshire Registered Agents?
According to the New Hampshire state statute Title XXVIII Section 304-C:36, whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, the state of New Hampshire requires the following from a registered agent:
- The NH registered agent must be a state resident or a business that provides registered agent services.
- NH registered agents must have and maintain a registered office (a physical address in New Hampshire).
- NH registered agents accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
How To Be Your Own New Hampshire Registered Agent
In New Hampshire, it is possible to be your own registered agent. This means that it is you who will be answering the door when the process server comes knocking if you get served. A lot of businesses choose to hire a registered agent for this very reason, but it is completely possible for you to act as your own agent.
What are the requirements for being my own registered agent?
The process of appointing (or changing) your registered agent is all relatively straightforward; however there are a few major requirements that must be met:
- You need to have a physical New Hampshire street address. If you wish to act as your own registered agent, it is imperative that you have an actual street address (in New Hampshire), and not a PO Box. Should your business be sued, the state requires an actual location where process servers can serve your business. This way the judge will know you have officially been served your lawsuit.
- You need to have regular business hours. This means you need to maintain normal, regular business hours at your physical address. It will not suffice to be available haphazardly at irregular after-business hours.
- A New Hampshire business cannot act as its own registered agent. Your agent must be an individual or another business. This means you can be an agent for your business, but your LLC or corporation itself cannot be the agent.
How do I change my registered agent if I already have an established business?
If you have already formed a New Hampshire business, you can change your New Hampshire registered agent by filing a Statement of Change document. There are separate documents for corporations and LLCs. Fill out the information requested and send the document, along with the $15 filing fee.
Once you put your name and address on either your New Hampshire LLC or New Hampshire corporation formation documents or the change of agent form, it is searchable public information. Also, you must not only ensure that you are able to keep the regular business hours and physical location required, but that you don’t mind process servers showing up on your door step.
How Do I Change My New Hampshire Registered Agent?
- File a change of agent form with the New Hampshire Corporation Division.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your New Hampshire registered agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Northwest Phone Service: We know your business needs don’t stop at formation. That’s why we now offer Northwest Phone Service, a feature-packed virtual phone line that allows you to call and text your customers from any device. Our in-house Phone Service is just $9 monthly, with the first 60 days included FREE of charge when you hire us as your registered agent.
- Free Credit Card Processing Consultation: Considering accepting credit and debit card payments? We can help you sort that out. When you hire us, you have the option to sign up for a complimentary in-house call with our card industry specialists who work with processors to negotiate low rates and better contracts on your behalf. Check out our Payment Processing Service page to learn more.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
New Hampshire Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A New Hampshire Registered Agent?
All legitimate, registered businesses in the state must appoint a registered agent. The New Hampshire Secretary of State’s Corporation Division will reject your filing if you do not appoint one. So that the state and the general public have a reliable way to contact your business with legal notices and other types of important mail.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In New Hampshire?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in New Hampshire. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a New Hampshire registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In New Hampshire?
We accept and scan all of our New Hampshire clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Nashua, NH.
Will You Let Me Know When My New Hampshire Annual Report Is Due?
We send you reminders to file your NH annual report each year. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you the reminder, but we also give you the forms and filing instructions you need.
Can I Use Your New Hampshire Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your New Hampshire Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In New Hampshire?
Hire us first and then form your New Hampshire LLC or corporation. The New Hampshire Corporation Division will reject your business registration filing if you don’t already have a registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do New Hampshire Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your New Hampshire registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A New Hampshire Registered Agent?
- You can do a New Hampshire business name search with the Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.p
In order to notify a business, you can just send it to the New Hampshire registered agent via certified mail.
How To Order New Hampshire Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your New Hampshire registered agent service once your business registration filing with the New Hampshire Department of State, Corporation Division is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of New Hampshire registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for New Hampshire registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with New Hampshire corporate compliance.