North Carolina Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A North Carolina registered agent is an individual resident or a registered business that accepts service of process and official notifications (such as annual report notices from the NC Secretary of State) on behalf of clients. North Carolina law requires every business entity to designate a North Carolina registered agent. A registered agent must maintain a physical address within the state and keep regular business hours.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About North Carolina Registered Agents:
- Get North Carolina Registered Agent Service
- What Do North Carolina Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements for North Carolina Registered Agents
- How Do I Change My North Carolina Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- North Carolina Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do North Carolina Registered Agents Do?
According to NC state statute § 55D-30, the sole duty of a registered agent in North Carolina is to forward to the entity at its last known address any notice, process, or demand served on the registered agent. And that’s all cheap registered agent services will do, and maybe not very well.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for North Carolina Registered Agents?
To be a registered agent in NC, you have to:
- Be a resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- Have a registered office address that is a physical address located within the State of North Carolina.
- Accept legal documents on behalf of the business.
How Do I Change My North Carolina Registered Agent?
You file a Change of Registered Agent form and we get listed as your North Carolina registered agent. When you place an order with us, the change form is available immediately. It’s super easy, but for more specific info you can read our change North Carolina registered agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
North Carolina Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A North Carolina Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In North Carolina?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in North Carolina. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a North Carolina registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In North Carolina?
We provide a commercial registered office location in Raleigh, NC.
Can I Use Your North Carolina Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Absolutely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to use our address for filing with the Secretary of State. This means you get to keep your private addresses off of public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your North Carolina Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In North Carolina?
Always hire a registered agent before you do the business registration filing. This is true for domestic and foreign business in North Carolina. You can’t registered with the NC Secretary of State if you do not list a registered agent. It is also smart to hire us first because you will find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do North Carolina Registered Agents Get Served?
- A process server, the sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court that they “served” us.
- The registered agent should forward the documents to the business.
NOTE: Serving a registered agent is legal proof that the business was notified, regardless of if the company looks at the docs or even gets them from the North Carolina registered agent services. You were notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly.
How Do I Search For A North Carolina Registered Agent?
- You can do a North Carolina business name search.
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the NC registered agent name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify someone through their North Carolina registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order North Carolina Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your North Carolina registered agent service once your business registration filing with the North Carolina Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of NC registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for North Carolina registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with state corporate compliance.