Start a Business in Nebraska
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
Starting a business in Nebraska can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the secretary of state, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in Nebraska, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in Nebraska.
How to Start a Business in Nebraska
You file Articles of Incorporation for a Nebraska corporation or Certificate of Organization (formerly called articles of organization) for a Nebraska LLC with the NE Secretary of State.
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of Nebraska showing your approved Nebraska business.
Opening a business banking account under your new Nebraska business name should be easy with these two items.
Nebraska Corporations and LLCs have to publish in a newspaper for three weeks after formation. Then they need to file an affidavit of publication with the Secretary of State.
If you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax, you will probably need to register with the NE Department of Revenue. We provide all these links in your online account.
If your business trade requires a license, you’ll have to apply for a license with the Nebraska licensing board. (Most businesses don’t.) But if you do, these quick links and contact details are in your online account.
Some local cities or counties have a general license, but most don’t.
You obtain a local trade license if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are You A Do-It-Yourselfer? You Can Save Some Money:
If you want to start a business in Nebraska yourself, you can just hire us as your Nebraska registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the Nebraska LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a Nebraska corporation or form a Nebraska LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional Nebraska registered agent service.
If you want a corporation, you file Nebraska Articles of Incorporation:
The Nebraska Articles of Incorporation cost $60 with the Nebraska Secretary of State.
We custom draft your Nebraska Articles of Incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your Nebraska business. The basic requirements of Nebraska corporations are:
- The Nebraska corporation must have a corporate ending such as INC, Incorporated, Corporation or a different variety.
- The Nebraska corporation name must be different than already registered Nebraska corporations.
- The number of shares the Nebraska corporation is authorized to issue, if shares are to consist of one class only, the par value of each share is required or, if shares are to be divided into classes, the number of shares of each class and a statement of the par value of the shares of each class is required.
- The name and office address of the registered agent in Nebraska.
- The name and address of the incorporators of the Nebraska corporation.
- Any provision limiting or eliminating the requirement to hold an annual meeting of the shareholders, if the corporation is registered or intends to register as an investment company under the federal Investment Company Act of 1940.
- The names and street addresses of the individuals who are to serve as the initial directors.
- Any optional provisions.
- The Nebraska incorporator, chairperson or officer must sign the Articles of Incorporation, and state his/her title.
- Date of execution.
If you mail or walk-in your NE corporation filing, it needs to have original signatures. If you file online, this does not apply. The stamped form will be mailed to the address on the cover letter. If you file online, the SOS will send you an acceptance or rejection via email. Then you can view your document online.
Start Your Nebraska Business!GET STARTED
If you want a LLC, you file Nebraska Certificate of Organization:
To form a Nebraska LLC, you file a Nebraska Certificate of Organization. The NE LLC filing fee is $100. The basic requirements of Nebraska LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a LLC ending or variation of it.
- The Nebraska company name must be different than already registered Nebraska companies.
- The purpose of the Nebraska limited liability company. If your LLC provides a professional service, include a statement of the profession to be practiced.
- The address of the principal place of business.
- The Nebraska registered agent name and physical address.
- The total amount of cash contributed to stated capital, and a description and agreed value of property other than cash contributed.
- The total additional contributions agreed to be made by all members, and the times at which or events upon the happening of which the contributions will be made.
- The right, if given, of the members to admit additional members and the terms and conditions of the admission.
- Management type – manager(s)/member(s). If the limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, the names and addresses of the persons who will serve as managers until the successor is elected. If the management of the LLC is reserved to the one or more classes of members, the names and addresses of such members.
- Duration of the Nebraska LLC.
- Optional provisions.
- The Nebraska organizer must sign and date.
You have to mail or walk in LLC filings and it has to have original signatures. The filing is sent to the address on your cover letter.