The Blaugg Blog Do you even Blaugg???

EIN Application: Name and Address

EIN Name and Address

Q: The EIN [application] is asking for a personal name and address for the LLC, however the LLC is owned by another LLC—what should I put?

Thank you to one of our customers for this question! You should put the name and address of whoever is the responsible party for your LLC. This question actually comes up a lot—and is more important than it may seem. You—or someone from your business—will have to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) on behalf of your business. You cannot use another entity’s EIN to apply. Here’s why:

Who can apply for an EIN?

The EIN application must be submitted by an individual with a Taxpayer Identification Number. This could be a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). The person who applies for the EIN on behalf of your business is known as the “responsible party.”

Why can’t I apply for a new EIN using another business’s EIN?

Only government entities are permitted to obtain a new EIN by using another entity’s EIN. All other business entities are required to use an individual tax ID when applying for an EIN.

Can anyone be the “responsible party”?

Not exactly. In addition to having an SSN or an ITIN, the “responsible party” must be someone with some degree of financial responsibility or ownership over your business. According to the IRS, the “responsible party” should be “the true principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner or trustor” of your company.

As the “responsible party,” will my name and address be part of the public record?

No. We certainly understand the desire to keep your personal information off the public record. But the information you provide for your EIN—including the legal name of your “responsible party”—will not be made public.

What if I want to change the “Responsible Party” listed on my business’s EIN filing?

If you need to change the name of and/or contact information for your business’s “responsible party,” you’ll just have to submit Form 8822-B to the IRS.

How do I apply for an EIN for my business?

To apply for an EIN, you’ll have to complete Form SS-4. You may submit it online, by mail, or via fax.

Online: EIN Assistant

By Mail / Fax:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Fax: 855-641-6935

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN International Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
855-215-1627 (within the US)
304-707-9471 (outside the US)

Learn more at Northwest’s page: How to Get an EIN Number.

This entry was posted in .