Alabama Application for Registration of Foreign Alabama LLCWe’re Just Not Annoying®
FOREIGN ALABAMA LLC CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY
What you need to register a Foreign LLC in Alabama:
- $150 filing fee ($100 additional fee to expedite; $110 additional fee to file online)
- $28 name reservation fee
- A Foreign LLC Application for Registration (this is the only filing that can be done online in Alabama)
- A registered agent in Alabama
- $100 minimum to pay the Alabama Business Privilege Tax
Wait, what does Foreign Alabama LLC mean?
A Foreign Alabama LLC doesn’t mean that it’s an LLC from a different country. It means an LLC formed in a different state is registering to do business in Alabama. Once the Foreign LLC has registered in Alabama, it will be granted a certificate of authority.
HOW TO REGISTER A FOREIGN LLC IN ALABAMA?
Reserve your LLC’s name
Alabama is the only state that requires you to reserve your LLC’s name prior to filing for your certificate of authority. You reserve your LLC’s name on the Secretary of State’s website. The fee is $28. Print a copy of the reservation certificate and number.
Appoint an Alabama registered agent
Unless you physically reside in Alabama, you cannot be your own registered agent in Alabama. You can appoint a friend, relative, or employee to be your registered agent, but once you expand beyond your home state’s borders, this is the point at which many businesses hire a registered agent service.
Complete the Application for Registration
This form can be completed on paper or online on the Alabama Secretary of State’s website. It is not complex and should be a breeze once you’ve appointed your registered agent and reserved your name.
- Name and address
- Write down both the name your limited liability company is registered as in your home state and the name, as it was reserved, in Alabama. You’ll need to attach a copy of your name reservation certificate to the application and list the address of your business in Alabama.
- Alabama registered agent’s name and address
- The name of your home state
- The date your LLC was originally formed
- The date your LLC will begin doing business in Alabama
- To register in Alabama, you do not need to a certificate of good standingfrom your home state.
Receive Alabama certificate of authority
Online filings are processed immediately.
Once you’ve paid your fees and taxes and received your certificate of authority from the state, your LLC will now be treated like any other LLC in Alabama under state law. You’re ready for all the Alabama business you can handle.
How can I withdraw my foreign LLC from Alabama?
When you are no longer doing business in Alabama, you can withdraw a foreign LLC in Alabama. Just file a Foreign Limited Liability Company Certificate of Withdrawal and an ADOR Certificate of Compliance with the Alabama Secretary of State.