Indiana Registered Agent
When You Want More
An Indiana registered agent is appointed by a business to accept tax forms, state notices, and legal summons on its behalf. You designate an Indiana registered agent when you form a business and file formation documents with the Secretary of State. Both LLCs and corporations are legally required to have a registered agent. The Indiana registered agent must maintain a physical office in Indiana where service of process and certified documents can be reliably delivered during regular business hours. Once documents are accepted, they must be forwarded to the client in a timely manner.
With our registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, business address, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Indiana Registered Agents:
What Do Indiana Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, Indiana registered agents need to:
- Have a physical address in Indiana.
- Be open during business hours.
- Accept documents on your behalf and get them to you.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Indiana Registered Agents?
In accordance with Indiana Law (IC 23-0.5-4-1), registered agents have to be Indiana residents or companies that provide registered agent services. A registered agent has a registered office address that is a physical address located within the State of Indiana. And of course, a registered agent accepts legal documents.
How Do I Change My Indiana Registered Agent?
There are two ways to change your registered agent in Indiana.
- Hire us and we’ll complete the change of agent form for you for free.
- Do it yourself and file a Notice of Change of Registered Agent form with the Indiana Secretary of State’s Business Services Division. There is no fee to file this form.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Indiana Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Indiana Registered Agent?
- To become a legitimate, registered Indiana business, the state requires that you appoint a registered agent.
- The Secretary of State will reject your filing if you don’t appoint an Indiana registered agent.
- Basically the general public needs a reliable way to send important mail or legal notices to every registered Indiana business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Indiana?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Indiana. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Indiana registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Indiana?
We scan all documents locally from our office in Indianapolis, IN. Then we upload them to client accounts, immediately.
Can I Use Your Indiana Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Absolutely! We are the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our addresses for everything when you are doing a filing with the Indiana Secretary of State. This way you keep your private address off of the public record.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Indiana Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Indiana?
You should hire us first and then do you business registration filing because you can’t form an Indiana corporation or LLC without an Indiana registered agent. You find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Indiana Registered Agents Get Served?
- A process server, the sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court that they “served” us.
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether or not you look at the docs or even get them from the Indiana registered agent services: you were notified. This is a serious responsibility and we don’t take it lightly.
How Do I Search For An Indiana Registered Agent?
- You can start with an Indiana business name search.
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the IN registered agent name and registered office street address.
- If you want to legally notify someone through their Indiana registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Indiana?
In Indiana, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit a Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent to the Indiana Secretary of State’s Business Services Division. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Indiana.
How To Order Indiana Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Indiana registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Indiana registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Indiana registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Indiana corporate compliance.