Indiana Registered Agent
When you choose Northwest as your Indiana Registered Agent, you get instant service, Privacy by Default®, a business address, and free mail forwarding. And if you want more, you can get a domain name, website, email, and phone number for free.
Want to learn more about what a registered agent does in Indiana? We'll explain the Indiana Secretary of State requirements, what your registered agent should do for you, and how to change your registered agent in Indiana.
When You Want More
$125 a Year Every Year
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service.
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications
- Privacy by Default®
- Business Address & Free Mail Forwarding
- Free Domain, Website, Email & Business Phone
What Is an Indiana Registered Agent?
Your Indiana registered agent is tasked with accepting important legal mail (service of process) on behalf of your business. You can be your own registered agent, or you can appoint another person or a registered agent service to serve in this role. Per state law, all registered Indiana businesses are required to have a registered agent.
Your Indiana registered agent must:
- Have a physical street address in Indiana, no P.O. boxes.
- Be open during regular business hours.
- Accept documents on your behalf and get them to you.
The whole point of a registered agent is so the general public will have a reliable way to send important mail or legal notices to your Indiana business. However, your registered agent should offer more than just the basics. At Northwest, we go above and beyond normal registered agent services. We list OUR business address on your public filings, which helps you keep your personal information out of the public eye. We also scan every piece of mail that comes our way, and immediately upload it to your online account, so you’ll never miss an important notification. When you want more, Northwest is here.
How Do I Change My Indiana Registered Agent?
Looking to change registered agents? Here’s how you can make that happen in Indiana:
- File a change of registered agent form with Indiana’s Secretary of State.
- Name your registered agent, and include their information on your form. If you hire us, we’ll file the form instead, and will immediately be listed as your Indiana registered agent.
The whole process is super easy, but if you want to dig into more detail, check out our page on How to Change Your Registered Agent in Indiana.
Why Northwest Is the Best Registered Agent in Indiana
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Want more? Add free trials of any of these options at checkout:
- Domain Name: Choose a domain name from a list of popular extensions (like .com and .net).
- Website: We provide a pre-built business website, customizable using an open source platform.
- Business Email Address: Create up to 10 business email addresses of your choosing. They’ll end in your domain name for branding ease.
- Phone Number: Keep your personal line private by using a business phone number for client communications.
How to Order Indiana Registered Agent Service
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Indiana registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Indiana registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Indiana registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Indiana corporate compliance.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Indiana Registered Agent FAQs
Why do I need an Indiana registered agent?
Indiana state law requires all registered businesses to appoint a local registered agent. Indiana’s Secretary of State will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
What makes Northwest different from other registered agents?
Big Data. It’s a scary thought. But we don’t store your credit card info. We don’t sell your data to others to make extra money.
This is serious! Your Indiana registered agent service is going to be your point of contact for serious legal notices. It only takes one screw-up to cause a real problem. We are the only national registered agent that locally scans everything into your online account in real time. We maintain our own commercial offices in each state, and when you hire us for Indiana registered agent service, we’ll scan everything from our office in Indianapolis, Indiana. We don’t just mail you a copy of your notice or email it to you. We have the most sophisticated calendaring response and tracking system of any Indiana registered agent service to help make sure you and whomever you want to be notified doesn’t just get a notice about something but that you’re actually looking at your documents.
Privacy. When you make a purchase on this website, you’re actually hiring Northwest Registered Agent. This isn’t a game, and this isn’t a decision to just make on a whim. When the general public or a government official wants to know who owns your company, your registered agent is who they will harass to find out. We have stringent privacy practices to keep your data private, trained staff who will not give away your information, and in-house data security professionals. We also stress-test our own systems regularly and we prosecute people who try to hack us.
Collections. Read the fine print. We pick up new clients switching Indiana registered agents every day because they’re annoyed by their current registered agent’s billing policies. We don’t send our clients to collections. If you don’t want to pay us, you don’t. We’ve never sent a client to collections. Our trademarked slogan is “We’re Just Not Annoying.” This isn’t just a policy we made up, it’s our entire company slogan.
We obviously think pretty highly of ourselves, but this is all we do. It’s not a line item on a profit and loss sheet. It’s not a dividend payment to our owners. It’s not an idea we hope will work out. And we sure as heck aren’t a massive corporate conglomerate looking for every penny of profit they can find with an army of salespeople. Not that there’s anything wrong with any of those, but this is our lives. This isn’t just a job to us, it’s our passion.
Should I hire Northwest as my registered agent before or after I register my Indiana business?
You should hire us first and then do you business registration filing because you can’t form an Indiana corporation or LLC without an Indiana registered agent. You find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How will I get my documents that get mailed to your office?
We scan and upload your mail the same day we receive it. This means you’ll have access to all of your important mail the same day we receive it.
Can I use your Indiana registered office address to get my mail?
We don’t want to get all your mail. That’s not what we do. But we do want to help if possible. The US post office might not deliver your mail reliably to us if you don’t have a lease at our address. As the registered agent, things come directly to us. Northwest Registered Agent Service, Inc. c/o your company. If we do get mail for you on occasion, we will scan and upload it for you.
How are Indiana registered agents served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether or not you look at the docs or even get them from the Indiana registered agent services: you were notified. This is a serious responsibility and we don’t take it lightly. Here’s how service works:
- A process server, the sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court that they “served” us.
Can I use your Indiana registered office address for all my state filings?
Absolutely! We are the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our addresses for everything when you are doing a filing with the Indiana Secretary of State. This way you keep your private address off of the public record.
How do I find an Indiana registered agent?
Easy. Start with an Indiana business name search.
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the registered agent name and registered office street address.
- If you want to legally notify someone through their Indiana registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.