Start a Business in Indiana
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
Starting a business in Indiana can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the secretary of state, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in Indiana, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in Indiana.
How to Start a Business in Indiana
You file articles of incorporation for an Indiana corporation or articles of organization for an Indiana LLC with the IN Secretary of State.
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of Indiana showing your approved Indiana business.
Opening a business banking account under your new Indiana business name should be easy with these two items.
If you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax, you will probably need to register with the Indiana Department of Revenue and Indiana Department of Labor. We provide all these links in your online account.
If your business trade requires a license, you’ll have to apply for a license with the Indiana licensing agency. (Most businesses don’t.) But if you do, these quick links and contact details are in your online account.
Some local cities or counties have a general license, but most don’t.
You obtain a local trade license if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are You A Do-It-Yourselfer? You Can Save Some Money:
If you want to start a business in Indiana yourself, you can just hire us as your Indiana registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the Indiana LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate an Indiana corporation or form an Indiana LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional Indiana registered agent service.START YOUR INDIANA BUSINESS TODAY
If you want a corporation, you file Indiana Articles of Incorporation:
- The Indiana Corporation must have a corporate ending such as INC, Incorporated, Corporation or a different variety.
- The Indiana corporation name must be different than already registered Indiana corporations.
- The number of shares the Indiana Corporation is authorized to issue. If there is more than one class of shares, attach an exhibit including rights and preferences.
- The corporations principal address.
- The name and office address of the Indiana registered agent.
- The name, address, and signature of each incorporator of the Indiana Corporation.
Indiana does not require original signatures on new IN corporation filings. If you file online, the Indiana SOS will email the filed document to you. If you file the paper form, they will mail the filing acknowledgement to the return address.
Start Your Indiana Business!GET STARTED
If you want a LLC, you file Indiana Articles of organization:
- The business name must have a LLC ending or variation of it
- The Indiana company name must be different than already registered Indiana companies
- The Indiana LLCs principal office address
- The Indiana registered agent name and the physical address
- An Indiana LLC may be perpetual or for a limited duration
- State whether the Indiana LLC is managed by members or managers
- The name, address, and signature of the Indiana LLCs organizer
Indiana does not require original signatures on new IN LLC filings. You’ll get the filed articles mailed back to you after the state approves your filing. If you fax, the SOS will fax your filing back to you.