Starting a Business in New JerseyWe’re Just Not Annoying®
HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN NEW JERSEY
Starting a business in New Jersey can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the Division of Revenue, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in New Jersey, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in New Jersey.
What’s the actual process to start a business in New Jersey?
Public Records Filing
You file a Public Records Filing with the NJ Division of Revenue to form a New Jersey corporation or a New Jersey LLC.
Federal Tax ID
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of New Jersey showing your approved New Jersey business.
Opening a business banking account under your New Jersey business name should be easy with these two items.
After you file the Public Records Filing, you also need to mail or fax the Business Registration form to the NJ Division of Revenue.
Many businesses need a state trade, occupation, or other business license. You will contact the state board or agency to get your license. We provide NJ licensing links and contact information in your online account.
Some local cities or counties have a general license, but most don’t.
You obtain a local trade license if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to start a business in New Jersey yourself, you can just hire us as your New Jersey registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the New Jersey LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a New Jersey corporation or form a New Jersey LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional New Jersey registered agent service.
If you want a corporation, you file New Jersey Public Records Filing:
The New Jersey Public Records Filing cost $125 with the New Jersey Division of Revenue. Once it is filed, the Public Records Filing becomes the Articles of Incorporationfor your New Jersey corporation. The requirement for a New Jersey corporation are:
- The New Jersey corporation must have a corporate ending such as incorporated, corporation or an abbreviation thereof.
- The duration of the corporation is “perpetual” unless otherwise stated.
- The New Jersey corporations purpose is general unless you state a specific purpose.
- The total shares of NJ corporation stock.
- The name of the registered agent in New Jersey and the registered office address.
- The name and address of at least one initial director of the New Jersey corporation.
- The name, address, and signature of the New Jersey incorporator(s).
New Jersey only requires original signatures if you mail your filing. A filing certificate is sent to the NJ registered agent. Sign up with Northwest and we scan and upload your New Jersey registration confirmation into your online account immediately.
If you want a LLC, you file New Jersey Articles of Organization:
The basic requirements of New Jersey LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New Jersey LLCs name must be different than already registered New Jersey companies.
- Duration of the New Jersey LLC is perpetual unless you list a term.
- The purpose of the New Jersey limited liability company is general unless you list a specific one.
- The New Jersey registered agent and the physical address.
- The NJ limited liability company’s business address.
- The name and address of the NJ LLC organizer.
- Any authorized representative may sign for the LLC filing.
New Jersey only requires original signatures if you mail your filing. A filing certificate is sent to the NJ registered agent. When you sign up with Northwest, you can count on us to scan and upload your filing confirmation, immediately.