Starting a Business in New MexicoWe’re Just Not Annoying®
HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN NEW MEXICO
Starting a business in New Mexico can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the Public Regulation Commission, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in New Mexico, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in New Mexico.
What’s the actual process to start a business in New Mexico?
You file Articles of Incorporation for a New Mexico corporation or articles of organization for a New Mexico LLC with the NM Secretary of State.
Federal Tax ID
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of New Mexico showing your approved New Mexico business.
Opening a business banking account under your new New Mexico business name should be easy with these two items.
Tax & Revenue Department
You register your New Mexico corporation or LLC with the NM Taxation and Revenue Department or the NM Department of Workforce Solutions if you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax.
There is no NM state general business license, but some business activities (professionals, construction, alcohol) are regulated by NM state licensing laws. Make sure you get the appropriate state licenses for your NM business.
Local governments may also require certain businesses to have permits. It is important to contact your county and city government to find out if these requirements apply to your NM business.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to start a business in New Mexico yourself, you can just hire us as your New Mexico registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the New Mexico LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a New Mexico corporation or form a New Mexico LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional New Mexico registered agent service.Start Your Business Today
If you want a corporation, you file New Mexico Articles of Incorporation:
The New Mexico Articles of Incorporation cost a minimum of $100 with the New Mexico Secretary of State.
We custom draft your New Mexico Articles of Incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your New Mexico business. The basic requirements of New Mexico corporations are:
- An incorporating New Mexico ending such as Inc, corporation, or incorporated.
- The corporations is perpetual unless you state a different period.
- A specific corporation purpose.
- The amount of New Mexico corporation shares you would like to authorize.
- The name and address of at least one New Mexico corporation director.
- The date the NM incorporation was executed.
- The name, address, and signature of the New Mexico incorporator(s).
- The corporation’s New Mexico registered agent.
New Mexico requires original signatures on new NM corporation filings. We send out the signed registered agent consent as soon as you sign up for registered agent service.
The NM SOS sends the filed articles to the address of the person who filed the documents.
If you want a LLC, you file New Mexico Articles of Organization:
To form a New Mexico LLC, you file New Mexico Articles of Organization. There is a $50 articles of organization filing fee.
The basic requirements of New Mexico LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New Mexico LLCs name must be different than already registered New Mexico companies.
- The default duration of the New Mexico LLC is perpetual.
- The New Mexico registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and signature of the LLC organizer(s).
- If the limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers or members. The members or managers names are not required on the NM articles of organization.
New Mexico LLCs can now be filed online. When you hire us to be your agent, we will give you the official name to enter in the Registered Agent section of the online form. Online filings are processed within 3 days.